• Time
  • Show
Clear All
    starshipeleven
    Premium Supporter

• starshipeleven
    replied
    Originally posted by Britoid View Post
    Will this break setting DNS servers through GNOME Settings?

or can NetworkManager tell systemd-resolved of the DNS servers to use.
    Afaik it's a drop-in replacement as it's taking the DNS/domain list from /etc/resolv.conf, which is the standard way used by NetworkManager and others (also by systemd-networkd) to interact with current DNS daemons.
    https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php...#Automatically

Leave a comment:

• Britoid

• Britoid
    replied
    Originally posted by CommunityMember View Post

One of the configurations of systemd-resolved is to let other components determine/specify the DNS servers, where NetworkManager is obviously known to be one of them. The (automatic) detection of using other specifications of DNS servers can, of course, be configured.
    Do you have the instructions of how to set this up on F32?

So you could tell NetworkManager the DNS-over-tls severs (like 1.2.3.4#secure-dns.example) and that would get forwarded to resolved?

Leave a comment:

• CommunityMember

• CommunityMember
    replied
    Originally posted by Britoid View Post

One of the configurations of systemd-resolved is to let other components determine/specify the DNS servers, where NetworkManager is obviously known to be one of them. The (automatic) detection of using other specifications of DNS servers can, of course, be configured.

Leave a comment:

• starshipeleven
    Premium Supporter

• starshipeleven
    replied
    Originally posted by bug77 View Post
    It would be so easy to do if "properly" meant the same thing for everybody. As it stands, it seems systemd is only implementing DNS the way Internet bodies understand "properly".
    that's the best kind of "properly", given that DNS was created by them.

Leave a comment:

• Britoid

• Britoid
    replied

Leave a comment:

• CommunityMember

• CommunityMember
    replied
    Originally posted by spstarr View Post
    I am assuming this will break my own private DNS server and my own domain...
    systemd-resolved supports using your own DNS server(s), and can be configured to not cache anything if you so wish. The problem may be that systemd-resolved supports so many options that one can easily get overwhelmed in all the choices you might want to make (and I seem to recall there were some combinations of options that were technically legal, but almost certainly were not what you really wanted).

Leave a comment:

• bug77

• bug77
    replied
    Originally posted by Spam View Post

I prefer Unbound and NSD, or any tool built to support dns properly. SystemD seems to want to build a full OS...
    It would be so easy to do if "properly" meant the same thing for everybody. As it stands, it seems systemd is only implementing DNS the way Internet bodies understand "properly".

Leave a comment:

• Britoid

• Britoid
    replied
    Originally posted by Spam View Post

I prefer Unbound and NSD, or any tool built to support dns properly. SystemD seems to want to build a full OS...
    from the systemd website - "systemd is a suite of basic building blocks for a Linux system."

So yes, systemd does provide a basic userland for a Linux system.

Leave a comment:

• S.Pam

• S.Pam
    replied
    Originally posted by doublez13 View Post

It's pretty nice to have a resolver that supports DNS over TLS natively available.

Leave a comment:

• Britoid

• Britoid
    replied
    Originally posted by Espionage724 View Post

I can't be bothered to look it up, but there's definitely an issue ticket either on systemd's Git or Ubuntu that specifically mentions this problem. I ran into this on Ubuntu months ago.
    Apparently Ubuntu doesn't ship with resolved in the recommended configuration so that may be why.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X