OpenSUSE Leap + SUSE Linux Enterprise Planning To Move Closer In 2020

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OpenSUSE Leap + SUSE Linux Enterprise Planning To Move Closer In 2020

Phoronix: OpenSUSE Leap + SUSE Linux Enterprise Planning To Move Closer In 2020

SUSE and the openSUSE community are working to move SUSE Linux Enterprise and openSUSE Leap closer together...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Originally posted by 144Hz View Post
    Hopefully this would move openSUSE closer to SLED and their enterprise desktop.
    You mean hopefully this will move SLED closer to Leap....

How anybody could think that locking userspace deps to old versions is somehow more secure is just stupid. Especially so on Linux where almost nothing implements stable user facing interfaces and so locking in userspace dependencies is guaranteed to break things. Super dumb. Always was.

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
      How anybody could think that locking userspace deps to old versions is somehow more secure is just stupid. Especially so on Linux where almost nothing implements stable user facing interfaces and so locking in userspace dependencies is guaranteed to break things. Super dumb. Always was.
      They aren't just locking to old versions, they are backporting all security fixes to their old versions, and also patching userspace applications if needed. Choosing LTS versions of the applications (if available) is also done (LEap is using LTS Qt/KDE, LTS firefox and thunderbird, among others) to reduce the load.

But of course you only know Windows so for you it's dumb here too. On Windows it is indeed dumb because you can't backport stuff in your distro's libraries.

Comment

I hope this means moving Enterprise closer to Leap rather than the other way around :P

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
          I hope this means moving Enterprise closer to Leap rather than the other way around :P
          Yes, they talk of being able to run SLES binaries in Leap directly

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post

You mean hopefully this will move SLED closer to Leap....

Another fanatical believer that "only the latest new stuff can possibly be secure or productive". Despite decades of experience showing that stable, long term support packages are easier to secure and often run better/faster.

I use Tumbleweed and Arch fairly often, but not because their bleeding edge packages make them more secure or perform faster. I use them because they have packages with new features I'd like to use without waiting 6-9 months like Fedora and Ubuntu users or 2-3 years like Debian users, and without having to forage through unstable, rarely tested, hobbyist PPAs to try recent software. That's where insecurity lies.

Comment

Typo:

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
              moving forward to even create a a new openSUSE Leap 15.2 flavor

Comment

Originally posted by GhostOfFunkS
                Hopefully this would move openSUSE closer to SLED and their enterprise desktop.
                Can you stay on-topic and not start yet another flamewar?

Comment

Most of the herein rised questions and concerns are answered:

a) in the link from article to the OpenSUSE mailing list

b) in the link from the OpenSUSE mailing list to the appropriate FAQ

Comment

Originally posted by andyprough View Post

Another fanatical believer that "only the latest new stuff can possibly be secure or productive". Despite decades of experience showing that stable, long term support packages are easier to secure and often run better/faster.

I use Tumbleweed and Arch fairly often, but not because their bleeding edge packages make them more secure or perform faster. I use them because they have packages with new features I'd like to use without waiting 6-9 months like Fedora and Ubuntu users or 2-3 years like Debian users, and without having to forage through unstable, rarely tested, hobbyist PPAs to try recent software. That's where insecurity lies.
                    That's total bullshit. Almost nobody develops for desktop linux because of backports. You can't keep a program binary running past one distro release at best, then it needs patched to compile against new distro releases. In addition to that you need a different package patched and compiled for every release of every distro. And then to top it all off you need to backport and patch in every security fix for every single one of those dozens of packages. Maintaining one program requires dozens of builds and each one is guaranteed to break next time one of its dependencies get updated. More backporting.... Companies get stuck in a constant unrelenting cycle that so called "stable" distro's force upon them. So they just don't do it. How the fuck is that productive?
                    Last edited by duby229; 11 April 2020, 10:17 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X