No announcement yet.

Ubuntu 20.04 LTS Beta Released

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I had some problems with Apparmor in the past especially with Thunderbird. Maybe these problems are solved with 20.04...

Comment

Originally posted by vb_linux View Post
      Brave is better Chromium. Offers privacy, offers hardware accerlation on linux. I have Nvidia 1080 card, and still Netflix, Youtube and HBO play with hardware acceleration.
      please elaborate

Comment

Originally posted by mos87 View Post
        please elaborate
        What specifically? I can surely elaborate.

Brave is based on Chromium codebase and has a block origin type of ad blocker builtin. The do remove the Chrome Google tracking parts. But you can still import your settings and passwords from Chrome. It can sync your settings across devices but not passwords, which they haven't found a secure non-privacy invasive way yet. It downloads widevine DRM seamlessly(the first time you go to Netflix), so you can play Amazon prime, Netflix, etc.

Chromium(snap) and Chrome both have hardware acceleration flags disabled. Brave has them enabled using va-api. In dev tools, on a video playing webpage, you can check if the video player is "mojovideoplayer" then you have hardware acceleration. If it is any other, then your CPU is being used to play any such video.

Comment

Originally posted by vb_linux View Post
          1) chrome has (and have had for some time) vaapi enabled via an unofficial patch
          2) its buggy (i've tried it)
          3) DRMed content decoedes thru a black-box'ed decoder which besides decoding does decrypting - and THAT can't be made to use hw decoding EVEN by a browswer called BRAVE. Until they do it themselves.

So you're either are trolling Sir or just ignorant.

Comment

Originally posted by mos87 View Post
            1) chrome has (and have had for some time) vaapi enabled via an unofficial patch
            2) its buggy (i've tried it)
            3) DRMed content decoedes thru a black-box'ed decoder which besides decoding does decrypting - and THAT can't be made to use hw decoding EVEN by a browser called BRAVE. Until they do it themselves.

So you're either are trolling Sir or just ignorant.
            Thank you.

1. Chrome hasn't. ChromeOS has on particular hardware.
            2. Fedora and other do publish Chromium with these patches, Ubuntu doesn't.

Here is more information on it : https://www.linuxuprising.com/2018/0...celerated.html

If the video_decoder value is MojoVideoDecoder (previously it was GpuVideoDecoder, but now the Chromium builds use MojoVideoDecoder on Linux) it means that the video that's currently playing on YouTube in the other tab is using hardware-accelerated video decoding.

If it says FFmpegVideoDecoder or VpxVideoDecoder, accelerated video decoding is not working, or maybe you forgot to install or disabled the h264ify Chrome extension.
            I am attaching two screenshots. Chrome playing video in FFmpegVideoPlayer and Brave playing it in MojoVideoDecoder

Last edited by vb_linux; 06 April 2020, 11:17 PM.

Comment

I know chomIUM kinda works (for some) and did so for some time now (Mozilla will now apparently have VAAPI in FF75, but on wayland only lol...)
              As I've said I've tried it and saw all this funky Mojo decoders in the ungodly depths of the dev tools, like on your screenshots (but for me the videos decoded with it were all distorted and broken, and having an unofficial chromium build around just for this - even for this - kinda sucks anyway, so I stopped tinkering with it)

DRM'ed (widevine) content AFAIU must use its own closed decoder (otherwise it won't be much of a DRM will it), and is not HW-accelerated in any way so all this pain would be vain with it.

Again where does Brave browser come into all of this? How its different from just installing the said chromium build with all its ups and downs?

Comment

Working...
              X