X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Finally.

Comment

Originally posted by danmcgrew View Post
      So when, exactly, will Clement Lefebvre re-name this "no-hard-or-original-work-since-Mint-17" Linux distro to "Ubuntu Mint"?
      When he stops maintaining his own DE, something that Canonical can no longer be bothered to do themselves?

Comment

Originally posted by Weasel View Post
        I don't see anything like that from the article. All that is said is that it will be available in 64-bit only, i.e. the OS image you download.

As usual Michael inserts his own stupid bias in "news".
        Compatibility with 32-bit applications is one thing, installing Mint (Ubuntu) on a 32-bit PC is another thing, they are different.
        The first is still feasible, the second is not, this is what I understood, correct me if I'm wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
          Does this mean they are getting rid of multilib?
          See: https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pa...0.04-LTS-Plans

Originally posted by Weasel
          As usual Michael inserts his own stupid bias in "news".
          How did he do that here?

Comment

i don't get why people use this instead of original ubuntu or even debian ?

Comment

Originally posted by Aryma View Post
              People have a lot of respect for the distro because of its long history and respect for its community. I always think of them fondly because it was the most fully featured distro at the time I got into Linux. All the others had some problem that stopped me fully switching. They also made Cinnamon which at the time it was made was *the* middle ground between modern Gtk3 and a Gnome2-like desktop. Its less cool now that Mate and XFCE have converted to Gtk3 but it was great at the time.

Comment

Ubuntu radically changes their desktop approach once every 3-4 years, totally throwing heavy desktop users into a tailspin. For people wanting a steady distro for running a small business or home office or doing some light creative work where they don't have to worry about the underlying desktop and operating system, Mint has always been a much better choice than Ubuntu.

Debian is little more than a server distro with the ability to slap a vanilla desktop on top, and its packages are so old that you have to move to testing or unstable long before they spin a new release if you want to keep up. For the same type of users I described above (small business, home office, light creative work), Debian is a poor choice compared to a desktop optimized distro like Mint.

Comment

Originally posted by andyprough View Post

Ubuntu radically changes their desktop approach once every 3-4 years, totally throwing heavy desktop users into a tailspin. For people wanting a steady distro for running a small business or home office or doing some light creative work where they don't have to worry about the underlying desktop and operating system, Mint has always been a much better choice than Ubuntu.

Debian is little more than a server distro with the ability to slap a vanilla desktop on top, and its packages are so old that you have to move to testing or unstable long before they spin a new release if you want to keep up. For the same type of users I described above (small business, home office, light creative work), Debian is a poor choice compared to a desktop optimized distro like Mint.
                  I run my servers on Debian Stable because, well, it's STABLE. They serve 24x7 without complaint, or any fiddling required. What you want in a server.

I run the few (3) desktops that I have on Debian Testing so I can do some of the stuff that the kewl kids do. And I don't mind spending a little bit of time fixing them when they get goofy due to a package update; what I learn on 1 I can apply to the other 2. After all, M$ Windoze has taught us that desktops are for fiddling after the updates are done.

Comment

For 32 bits : https://sparkylinux.org

Comment

I installed Linux Mint two years ago for my grand mother. (who probably does not know that she is not using windows anymore).
                      The familiar interface required little learning curve, she uses the internet, email, skype, word processing, printing, scanning, looking at photos etc. I get very few support requests now, and none of them are critical, everything just seems to work.

That's not trivial... probably they are doing something right.
                      Last edited by humbug; 01 April 2020, 08:52 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X