Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux Mint 20 Doing Away With 32-Bit Support

Phoronix: Linux Mint 20 Doing Away With 32-Bit Support

Linux Mint is joining the ranks of most other major desktop Linux distributions in abandoning their 32-bit support...

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...No-More-32-Bit

Typo:

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    Confirmation of Linux Mint 20 going 64-bit only was shared via their montly newsletter.

Comment

Bye 32 bit. You lived too long.

Comment

Originally posted by 144Hz View Post
        Bye 32 bit. You lived too long.
        It was a lot nicer than 8-bit, let me tell you.

Comment

Kind of interesting that the distros that are defaulting to systemd and Gnome or GTK3+ desktops are no longer able to handle older equipment.

If anyone needs a distro that's Debian based and will still work on 32-bit, antiX just released version 19.2. It has versions with runit (new!) and sysvinit; versions based on Buster and on Sid (new!); and choice of 64-bit or 32-bit. I installed the 64-bit Sid-based runit version on an NVME SSD over the weekend, and put KDE 17.5 on it. Very fast and pleasant.

Comment

Does this mean they are getting rid of multilib?

Comment

Originally posted by andyprough View Post
              Kind of interesting that the distros that are defaulting to systemd and Gnome or GTK3+ desktops are no longer able to handle older equipment.

If anyone needs a distro that's Debian based and will still work on 32-bit, antiX just released version 19.2. It has versions with runit (new!) and sysvinit; versions based on Buster and on Sid (new!); and choice of 64-bit or 32-bit. I installed the 64-bit Sid-based runit version on an NVME SSD over the weekend, and put KDE 17.5 on it. Very fast and pleasant.
              eeh, what does systemd have to do with hardware requirements exactly?

or are you just looking for a any reason to complain or advertise dumb distros?
              Last edited by Britoid; 03-31-2020, 12:44 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
                Does this mean they are getting rid of multilib?
                I don't see anything like that from the article. All that is said is that it will be available in 64-bit only, i.e. the OS image you download.

As usual Michael inserts his own stupid bias in "news".

Comment

well, as long as #t2sde supports older hardware, too, ... https://t2sde.org ;-)

Comment

Originally posted by Britoid View Post

eeh, what does systemd have to do with hardware requirements exactly?

or are you just looking for a any reason to complain or advertise dumb distros?
                    Yes. And yes.

Comment

Working...
                    X