Fedora 33 Plans To Default To OpenJDK 11 As The Default Java Version

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rob72 View Post
    Java8 is the last version to support Web Start, and I happen to have an application that still needs it. The application was meant to be sunset by now, but that has been extended a few times already as its HTML5 replacement is not yet fully ready... I would personally like to use a newer Java version, as Java8 has no support for HIDPI displays which makes using the aforementioned application problematic.
    IIRC, one of the nice features of Java webstart was that it security sandboxed the Java code by default. So you could potentially run a big application from the web with some good security promises, before the time of HTML5 apps. It, and Flash seem redundant now that we have HTML5, but it was a nice feature.

Comment

Not defaulting to Java11 is idiotic in 2020. Bear in mind, we're just talking default JDK here, JDK8 would still be available, if needed.

Comment

Originally posted by hrkristian View Post
        Hopefully they'll do something about the messed up state of OpenJFX at the same time then.
        What's the problem with OpenJFX?

Comment

Originally posted by Rob72 View Post
          Java8 is the last version to support Web Start, and I happen to have an application that still needs it. The application was meant to be sunset by now, but that has been extended a few times already as its HTML5 replacement is not yet fully ready... I would personally like to use a newer Java version, as Java8 has no support for HIDPI displays which makes using the aforementioned application problematic.
          OWS is the enterprise-ready open source reimplementation of Java Web Start technology providing common features of JWS and the JNLP standard.

Comment

Working...
          X