Fedora 33 Plans To Default To OpenJDK 11 As The Default Java Version

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fedora 33 Plans To Default To OpenJDK 11 As The Default Java Version

Phoronix: Fedora 33 Plans To Default To OpenJDK 11 As The Default Java Version

To date Fedora has defaulted to Java 1.8 / OpenJDK 8 as the default system JDK version but for Fedora 33 later this year they plan to transition to OpenJDK 11...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

and what is so great with OpenJDK 17 ? 0.000000000002ms faster?

Comment

Originally posted by saulo View Post
      and what is so great with OpenJDK 17 ? 0.000000000002ms faster?
      Its actually 0.000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 000000000000000000002 ms faster. :-D

Comment

Actually it's 0.000000000002ms slower, but it has more features! xD

Comment

I've had issues connecting up to secure LDAP ports with Java 11. It uses TLS1.3 as default and doesn't seem to negotiate down. The only way I've found around it is to totally disable TLS 1.3 in Java - I can't for the life of me figure out how to do it just for that particular connection

From the searches I've done, it's been quite a common problem

Comment

Hopefully they'll do something about the messed up state of OpenJFX at the same time then.

Comment

Originally posted by hrkristian View Post
              Hopefully they'll do something about the messed up state of OpenJFX at the same time then.
              That's an independent project now. I wouldn't hold on to any hope for it

Comment

A lot of third-party dependencies are not really java module system friendly yet. And the only reason projects build with them is a bug in javac, while eclipse's compiler scream the bloody murder

Comment

As long as they don't ship v10 in a package named v11 like Ubuntu 18.04.1.

TLS 1.3 is still not thread safe.

library support for modules is a disaster.

Other than that 11 is about the same as 8.

Comment

Java8 is the last version to support Web Start, and I happen to have an application that still needs it. The application was meant to be sunset by now, but that has been extended a few times already as its HTML5 replacement is not yet fully ready... I would personally like to use a newer Java version, as Java8 has no support for HIDPI displays which makes using the aforementioned application problematic.

Comment

Working...
                    X