Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RHEL9 Likely To Drop Older x86_64 CPUs, Fedora Can Better Prepare With "Enterprise Linux Next"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I can't remember the name of it right now, but I know there's a compiler tech which compiles multiple versions of functions. Each version uses different CPU instructions, so you can get both the performance benefit and the compatibility. The down-side is the libs/executables will be larger. Also, I guess this would make inlining those affected functions difficult or impossible.

Comment

Originally posted by pegasus View Post
      Guys,
      By the time rhel9 becomes a thing, gcc will fully support "fat" binaries with multiple optimized versions of the same function and switching between them at runtime.
      So I see no issue whatsoever to build whole distros with binaries that include all possible optimizations, from generic to avx512 and everything inbetween.
      I also would like to know where development is taking place.

Last time I checked the idea was dropped:
      As far as I know, so-called "fat binaries"--executable files that contain machine code for multiple systems--are only really used on Apple PCs, and even there it seems like they only used them beca...

This is not essential for my programs, but merely out of curiosity. Is it possible to, preferably using gcc, compile a 'fat' binary for Linux including multiple architectures such as combinations of

Comment

Originally posted by Space Heater View Post
        Where can we follow the progress of this feature in gcc? Have patches been submitted for review?
        I remember reading about it either here or on some mailing list but I'm unable to find it now. It's extremely un-googleable and I forgot how the project was called ...

Comment

They do that' I'd have to throw out 80% of my hardware. And I'm not in the market to buy any more.

I guess I made the mistake all those years ago of not becoming Amish...

Comment

Originally posted by jelabarre59 View Post
            They do that' I'd have to throw out 80% of my hardware. And I'm not in the market to buy any more.

I guess I made the mistake all those years ago of not becoming Amish...
            Me too. I intentionally buy old hardware. Like 5+ years old. It's cheaper. It's tried, true, and had enough time to get most of the bugs worked out. And in the case of x86_64, as long as the Ghz are above 3.3, it's 10 years or younger, and there are at least 8 threads available, it's good enough to play modern 1080p games if the GPU is new enough.

My exception is I'll wait a year on a GPU purchase...but, IMHO, a one year old GPU is damn near Legacy using GPU time frames. That's mainly due to a combination of being a Linux user and knowing about AMD's Fine Wine strategy.

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
              this circus of chasing slighly less ancient hardware is such a waste of resources. one would think redhat has engineers who are able to defer binding of codegen options to host cpu to install time or run time
              Not ancient HW - actually there's a fair amount of Intel current CPU's that do not support AVX/AVX2

This is fairly current - Intel Pentium Gold G5420 - this is "Coffee Lake", which is a Skylake derivative...

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us...-3-80-ghz.html

And as I mentioned earlier - there's a lot of edge appliances that are on current Silvermont/Airmont boxes - Mostly focused on SDN deployments

So for a feature set - maybe Westmere... even though many actual legacy Westmere's have been pulled out of service.

Comment

Working...
              X