Fedora 32 Beta Released With EarlyOOM By Default, GNOME 3.36 Desktop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by antnythr View Post
    I downloaded the beta today and I couldn't get it installed in VMWare Fusion (11.5.2). It would launch the installer, and then the graphics inside the installer would completely corrupt. The Gnome DE itself was fine, just the actual installation window.

I've recently installed OpenSUSE Tumbleweed, Arch, and CentOS 8 and they all seemed to get up and running without issue. Not sure what the problem is.
    Wayland and Linux guest video drivers which are not ready for it.

Comment

Originally posted by kravemir View Post

Dunno, whether I would be quite happy, if it kills application with my work in progress...
      I'm not a fan of a frozen PC. I prefer my apps to be killed instead.

Comment

You can uninstall it, I don't plan to use it, enough ram here I will not OOM, at least on Fedora 31, you can. I hope in 32 it will not depend on other packages. Will log a bug if it does.

Comment

Originally posted by darkcoder View Post
          Improving memory management while defaulting to the highest memory consuming desktop.
          Might be the highest memory consuming, but it's also the most functional and polished desktop around. No other DE matches GNOME with functionality when it comes to multi-screen, Wayland, tablets, 2-in-1s, HiDPI, ambient light sensors, or basically any set-up that isn't a typical single-screen desktop.

Comment

Originally posted by Espionage724 View Post
            Might be the highest memory consuming, but it's also the most functional and polished desktop around. No other DE matches GNOME with functionality when it comes to multi-screen, Wayland, tablets, 2-in-1s, HiDPI, ambient light sensors, or basically any set-up that isn't a typical single-screen desktop.
            Which is basically 99% of users out there.

Comment

Its sad to see Fedora loosing users due to that awful gnome3 mac-like or android-like user interface.

I hope redhat reconsiders their decision to use gnome3 like this. Sure, gnome3 has tons of features and a lot of development has gone into it, but the user interface is unusable...

I use the Cinnamon spin.

Comment

Originally posted by Espionage724 View Post
                If it was so great for multi screen I would use it but it's not, doesn't use the space well. And single screen, as birdie said, is the 99% of people who are using their laptop. Why would you not want to excel in that regard?

And saying it excels on tablets would be hyperbole.

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post

Which is basically 99% of users out there.
                  Source please.

Comment

Originally posted by AdamW View Post
                    See devel@ for the messy inside rant about this
                    For those that want a clickable reference to the long form rant: https://lists.fedoraproject.org/arch...VFNW4C3ZNVOWS/

Comment

Originally posted by andyprough View Post

If it was so great for multi screen I would use it but it's not, doesn't use the space well. And single screen, as birdie said, is the 99% of people who are using their laptop. Why would you not want to excel in that regard?

And saying it excels on tablets would be hyperbole.
                      I've used GNOME with multiple screens without complaint, but haven't tested another DE in that regard.

There was a time where I was switching between a few computers, all not meeting the "99% of people" specs (HiDPI, 2-in-1). I like consistency between my computers, and GNOME works the best for me in that regard.

But even on the single-screen non-HiDPI computer I'm using now, GNOME works great.

Comment

Working...
                      X