Fedora 32 Beta Released With EarlyOOM By Default, GNOME 3.36 Desktop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fedora 32 Beta Released With EarlyOOM By Default, GNOME 3.36 Desktop

Phoronix: Fedora 32 Beta Released With EarlyOOM By Default, GNOME 3.36 Desktop

The beta of the highly anticipated Fedora 32 Linux distribution update is now available...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

They must not like Silverblue or CoreOS since there weren't any links or even any mention of them anywhere

Comment

EarlyOOM in Fedora: haven't lived my life in vain, lovely.

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post
        EarlyOOM in Fedora: haven't lived my life in vain, lovely.
        Dunno, whether I would be quite happy, if it kills application with my work in progress...

Comment

Improving memory management while defaulting to the highest memory consuming desktop.

I will not call that an advancement🤷🏻

Comment

Originally posted by darkcoder View Post
            Improving memory management while defaulting to the highest memory consuming desktop.

I bet some things are preloaded.

Comment

Originally posted by darkcoder View Post

Be smart like IBM - invest in bloated software and in memory chip makers at the same time. Profit from both sides.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
                They must not like Silverblue or CoreOS since there weren't any links or even any mention of them anywhere
                So, we were supposed to ship Silverblue and IoT images with the Beta but for various fun reasons this doesn't entirely seem to have happened! See devel@ for the messy inside rant about this, but for a practical take away, you can grab Silverblue and IoT bits that should exactly match the Beta here:

* Silverblue: https://kojipkgs.fedoraproject.org/c...se/Silverblue/
                * IoT: https://kojipkgs.fedoraproject.org/c...0/compose/IoT/

edit: as far as CoreOS goes - I am told there isn't/won't be an official 'Beta', but the team will look to set up a 32 stream for CoreOS soon. Right now there isn't one.

Comment

Originally posted by Volta View Post

I bet some things are preloaded.
                  Yes, I agree unless someone here specifically knows what the memory is or isn't being used for.

But, also there are typically design differences. Some will be lighter than others.

Apparently, no one complains anymore that the terminal (no desktop) is the lightest of them all. Everyone's desktop environment eats memory haha

Comment

I downloaded the beta today and I couldn't get it installed in VMWare Fusion (11.5.2). It would launch the installer, and then the graphics inside the installer would completely corrupt. The Gnome DE itself was fine, just the actual installation window.

I've recently installed OpenSUSE Tumbleweed, Arch, and CentOS 8 and they all seemed to get up and running without issue. Not sure what the problem is.

Comment

Working...
                    X