Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fedora 32 Beta To Be Released Next Week

Phoronix: Fedora 32 Beta To Be Released Next Week

Fedora 32 Beta was deemed unready for release on Thursday during the initial Go/No-Go meeting but after reconvening twenty-four hours later the remaining blocker bugs were addressed...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Originally posted by 144Hz View Post
    Pretty solid...
    At the end it's just a Fedora with a new number on it.

Which is not bad by the way! No surprises during update.

Comment

Relatively boring compared to other Fedora releases, but welcomed nonetheless.

Shame LTO didn't get in. Fedora really has been quite behind when it comes to enabling performance-related compile time flags.

Comment

Not sure if I want to do the beta. My machine for the most part is running pretty smooth. Waiting to April isn’t a big deal.

Comment

Originally posted by wizard69 View Post
          Not sure if I want to do the beta. My machine for the most part is running pretty smooth. Waiting to April isn’t a big deal.
          I STILL have a really annoying dummy audio output situation PulseAudio created with Fedora 31 release. At least its better 90% of the time now but it makes me want to wait a full release. Can't wait to see how Fedora 32 goes.

But I've jumped onto the beta at least once (maybe twice) in the past and it was ultimately no different than jumping on at release or even 1 week later or so. It all depends on what bugs will be introduced for you and they can be there at any point.

Though some stuff might take a little longer like usaully Steam has some problem or Negativo17 drivers might not be updated.

Just do it when you're ready for potential problems but not before or if you have a problem that needs fixing and maybe the upgrade will get it fixed.
          Last edited by ix900; 14 March 2020, 11:07 AM.

Comment

GCC 10 (like a number of GCC upgrades before it) is still causing some angst with upstream developers and packagers, but it should all get worked out before release (the FTBFS list has gotten a lot smaller now that there is a build macro to de-fang some of the GCC 10 common symbol handing errors).

Comment

Originally posted by ix900 View Post
              Though some stuff might take a little longer like usaully Steam has some problem or Negativo17 drivers might not be updated.
              It is always a complex timing issue for 3rd party repos, as they can't start their mass rebuilds until the Fedora mass rebuilds are complete (and any required FTBFS items are resolved), and some of those 3rd party repos, and individual packages/packagers in them, are not as deeply resourced as Fedora itself, so it can take longer to revise packaging there and finish the builds. Most of the 3rd party repos have gotten better so that at final release they are (mostly) ready [many years ago they often were just starting their (re)builds at final release], but they are not always fully ready at the beta release. And then there is the special challenge of packaging of proprietary drivers (such as nvidia) where the driver may not yet have upstream patches available for the RC kernel.

Comment

I would have skipped a version when versioning this release, I'm sure there's at least some people out there just hearing about Fedora and seeing "Fedora 32" and thinking it's 32-bit. I know, I'm sure you think that's too stupid to be possible. But people are people.

Comment

Originally posted by Ironmask View Post
                  I know, I'm sure you think that's too stupid to be possible.
                  No, we all know some people can't do math, and some people are superstitious. But if one uses those limitations as the basis of versioning, Fedora 13 should probably never have been released, nor Fedora 16 (only for 16-bit MCUs?), and one would hope Fedora would be thinking ahead to the year 2317 and would reconsider the Fedora 666 release.

Comment

Originally posted by Britoid View Post
                    Relatively boring compared to other Fedora releases, but welcomed nonetheless.

Shame LTO didn't get in. Fedora really has been quite behind when it comes to enabling performance-related compile time flags.
                    its been getting borring since the early Fedora20's but Fedora has been stable to a degree, i stopped using linux from F27 cause i got borred with it. i will probably look at coming baack around 34 or 35 , around when DNF5 will be out in the open. DNF4 was all wrong to begin with. Gnome3 is just getting better thanks to the help of some from Ubuntu people.

Comment

Working...
                    X