No announcement yet.

Fedora 11 Alpha Comes With Huge Feature Set

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You know, I feel like Fedora tries to do too much too fast. I hope that enabling an incomplete filesystem for end-user selection, even if it's got bright neon-lava coloured warnings on it, doesn't come back to bite them in the ass.

Comment

Originally posted by Wyatt View Post
      You know, I feel like Fedora tries to do too much too fast. I hope that enabling an incomplete filesystem for end-user selection, even if it's got bright neon-lava coloured warnings on it, doesn't come back to bite them in the ass.
      Have to agree with ya there. 10 was more stable in mid beta than it was at release. I think their release schedules are too fast and maybe they should stretch them out to 9 months. Give more of a chance to make real improvements instead of constantly stitching small upgrades together.

11 is so developement heavy though. It makes me wonder if everyone is not dogpiling into linux. But they could release every 3 months and still not have latest versions of the massive upstream movements. What a difference the last 2 years has made.

Comment

But they could release every 3 months and still not have latest versions of the massive upstream movements.
        Or they could avoid massive dist-upgrades every 6 months and roll their releases ala Debian unstable. Isn't Fedora something like RHEL unstable, anyway?

What a difference the last 2 years has made.
        Quoted for truth.

Comment

BIG set of New features MEANS a lot of BUGS...

Comment

What I usually do is install a Fedora respin 3 months after it's out. It's quite stable but it's still ahead of the other distributions in terms of upstream versions.

A F10 respin is due out shortly.

Comment

Originally posted by panda84 View Post
              What I usually do is install a Fedora respin 3 months after it's out. It's quite stable but it's still ahead of the other distributions in terms of upstream versions.

A F10 respin is due out shortly.
              I might have to backup and reinstall respin as my 10 is messed up badly. I think core 8 went off updates with something like 450 bug fixes being dropped. I'm thinking 10 will only get really good by time 11 is released. There's still so many x problems and video driver problems but it needs adobe to fix flash for x_64 badly. I don't think the new respin is going to be worth burning maybe the next one.

Comment

Flash for X86_64 is very easy. The native plugin isn't that hard to install. Download it and copy the libflashplayer.so to your /mozilla/plugins folder and you're good to go.

Comment

Working...
                X