No announcement yet.

Debian 11 "Bullseye" To Begin Code Freeze In Early 2021

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

144Hz Take it easy man, it is true that after 2010 relationship between Debian and Ubuntu improved a lot and lot of Debian devs were employed by Canonical or simply started to collaborate on both projects for the common good of both distros.

Comment

Originally posted by 144Hz View Post
      franglais125 Canonical helps keeping GNOME up to date on Debian. Pretty awesome.
      "Package: gnome (1:3.30+1)" https://packages.debian.org/stable/gnome

A year and a half old is up to date? How very Canonical of them.

I guess the good news is that a year from now, their version of Gnome will only be 2 1/2 years old. At the beginning of the freeze. And no telling how long the freeze lasts. So there's that.

Comment

andyprough You are looking at Debian Stable. That’s frozen and shouldn’t get bumped.

Blaming Canonical for not breaking procedures would be next level stupid. You are not doing that, right? Right?

The rest of us is talking about Debian Unstable/Testing. Which eventually will provide packages for next Debian Stable. This is where I demonstrated 3 Canonical developers did packaging work over a 4 hour time span.
        Bullseye: Package: gnome (1:3.30+2) -- https://packages.debian.org/bullseye/gnome
        Sid: amd64 1:3.30+2 -- https://packages.debian.org/sid/gnome

I agree with your one point - I am next level stupid.

Comment

andyprough You are looking at Debian Stable. That’s frozen and shouldn’t get bumped.

Blaming Canonical for not breaking procedures would be next level stupid. You are not doing that, right? Right?

The rest of us is talking about Debian Unstable/Testing. Which eventually will provide packages for next Debian Stable. This is where I demonstrated 3 Canonical developers did packaging work over a 4 hour time span.
          Rule #1: Blame Canonical. When everything else fails, you can always blame them for following the correct procedures...

Comment

Originally posted by jacob View Post
            Rule #1: Blame Canonical.
            There is no real necessity to explain why. Just keep your calm and blame Canonical.

Comment

Originally posted by jacob View Post

Rule #1: Blame Canonical. When everything else fails, you can always blame them for following the correct procedures...
              That's rule #2. Rule #1 is blame RedHat and Poettering and systemd.

Comment

andyprough Congratulations. First you want Canonical to break Stable, now you want Canonical to mess with meta-packages.

Sorry because but that’s not how Debian works. Look at packaging activities on GNOME.

That’s right Canonical people all over the place.

In fact you can’t do much better than Canonical GNOME Team. They provide long term careers for people who want to:

1) Develop at upstream GNOME.
                2) Deploy at Debian, available to all derivatives.
                3) Deploy at Ubuntu.
                4) Maintain LTS for 5 years.

Actually, I think Canonical employees are some of the finest people in the world. I laugh at some of the company's failed strategies, but I've never found fault with the people. Top notch group - the GNU/Linux world would be far worse off without them. Same goes for RedHat - I have nothing but respect for all of the people and their immense talent.

Comment

Originally posted by andyprough View Post

Yes, but then blame Canonical for using systemd. This is now. Before, you were to blame Canonical for not using systemd and causing "fragmentation" with their upstart.

Comment

Originally posted by andyprough View Post
                    Don't forget Wayland and Gome. Pulseaudio is a little out of favour lately but maybe pipewire can get some too.

Comment

Originally posted by Danielsan View Post

When?
                      Just now. There are also people from Endless helping with the upgrade to 3.36

The number of people involved in the Debian GNOME team has really reduced in the last years/months, so thanks to them for helping us!

Comment

Working...
                      X