Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Debian 11 "Bullseye" To Begin Code Freeze In Early 2021

Phoronix: Debian 11 "Bullseye" To Begin Code Freeze In Early 2021

The Debian release team has published their tentative freeze dates for the next major version of their Linux operating system, Debian 11 Bullseye...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Hm, we just barely recovered from the last freeze, and the new one is coming? That feels too soon. Debian didn't manage to reduce freeze time effectively.

Comment

Originally posted by shmerl View Post
      Hm, we just barely recovered from the last freeze, and the new one is coming? That feels too soon.
      Winter is always coming. You're lucky with Debian that it's only every two years! Though it can last for a while, and I get that if your favourite package just missed out on an update, it feels longer.

As it is, the earliest date here is ten months away, and for most it's a year. Plenty of time to figure out how to make a .deb if the freeze is going to be a problem. Many larger projects like Nginx and PostgreSQL have their own package distribution setup offering current packages all the time even for older distributions.

Comment

Yeah, for the most part I already figured how to move packages forward during the freeze. Problem is it can get complicated when too many dependencies creep in, and especially with 32-bit cross compilation can become a major mess.

I wish KDE would provide a whole Plasma suit for Debian testing / unstable, that's rolling during the freeze (or even not during the freeze for that matter).

Comment

Hm, we just barely recovered from the last freeze [...] .
          What do you mean by "barely recovered"? Any specific situation?

I mean, the python2 removal was quite heavy, but that is tangent to the freezes for instance.

Comment

Originally posted by franglais125 View Post
            What do you mean by "barely recovered"? Any specific situation?
            KDE took forever to update to not even the latest Plasma. Mesa also took a long time to catch up.

Comment

KDE took forever to update to not even the latest Plasma. Mesa also took a long time to catch up.
              Ahh, I see. Yes, the KDE transition was long. I use Gnome so I didn't really notice that. Goes to show how many people can have different points of view of exactly the same thing.

Comment

I always wondered why they don't snapshot testing instead of freezing it. There are many users and entire distros that heavily rely on testing

Comment

Originally posted by 144Hz View Post
                  franglais125 Canonical helps keeping GNOME up to date on Debian. Pretty awesome.
                  When?

Originally posted by mppix View Post
                  I always wondered why they don't snapshot testing instead of freezing it. There are many users and entire distros that heavily rely on testing
                  Supposedly LTS should be build on Testing rather than SID...

Comment

He has been a Debian contributor since a long time...

Comment

Working...
                    X