Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jacob View Post
    Rule #1: Blame Canonical.
    There is no real necessity to explain why. Just keep your calm and blame Canonical.

Comment

Originally posted by jacob View Post

Rule #1: Blame Canonical. When everything else fails, you can always blame them for following the correct procedures...
      That's rule #2. Rule #1 is blame RedHat and Poettering and systemd.

Comment

andyprough Congratulations. First you want Canonical to break Stable, now you want Canonical to mess with meta-packages.

Sorry because but that’s not how Debian works. Look at packaging activities on GNOME.
        https://salsa.debian.org/groups/gnome-team/-/activity
        That’s right Canonical people all over the place.

In fact you can’t do much better than Canonical GNOME Team. They provide long term careers for people who want to:

1) Develop at upstream GNOME.
        2) Deploy at Debian, available to all derivatives.
        3) Deploy at Ubuntu.
        4) Maintain LTS for 5 years.

Comment

Originally posted by 144Hz View Post
          andyprough Congratulations. First you want Canonical to break Stable, now you want Canonical to mess with meta-packages.

Sorry because but that’s not how Debian works. Look at packaging activities on GNOME.
          https://salsa.debian.org/groups/gnome-team/-/activity
          That’s right Canonical people all over the place.

In fact you can’t do much better than Canonical GNOME Team. They provide long term careers for people who want to:

1) Develop at upstream GNOME.
          2) Deploy at Debian, available to all derivatives.
          3) Deploy at Ubuntu.
          4) Maintain LTS for 5 years.

Actually, I think Canonical employees are some of the finest people in the world. I laugh at some of the company's failed strategies, but I've never found fault with the people. Top notch group - the GNU/Linux world would be far worse off without them. Same goes for RedHat - I have nothing but respect for all of the people and their immense talent.

Comment

Originally posted by andyprough View Post

Yes, but then blame Canonical for using systemd. This is now. Before, you were to blame Canonical for not using systemd and causing "fragmentation" with their upstart.

Comment

Don't forget Wayland and Gome. Pulseaudio is a little out of favour lately but maybe pipewire can get some too.

Comment

andyprough Those people would have been long gone or reduced to weekend hackers if it weren’t for Red Hat, Canonical etc.

Comment

mppix Yeah it’s a little disappointing that Pipewire Haven’t got any of this special treatment yet. It ticks all the boxes. Red Hat works on it, GNOME affiliated, requires rewrites, new thinking and skills.

I guess is the internet is still peaking on the WAYLAND IS NOT FINISHED YET narrative.

Comment

Originally posted by Danielsan View Post

When?
                    Just now. There are also people from Endless helping with the upgrade to 3.36

The number of people involved in the Debian GNOME team has really reduced in the last years/months, so thanks to them for helping us!

Comment

Bullseye: Package: gnome (1:3.30+2) -- https://packages.debian.org/bullseye/gnome
                      Sid: amd64 1:3.30+2 -- https://packages.debian.org/sid/gnome
                      That's just the meta-package (and the top one at that).
                      When I checked my rig(Debian Testing) I found that installed sub-packages (and actual programs) are mostly at version 3.34(47),
                      a couple were 3.36(7) even a couple at 3.28(6) or lower. I didn't even have the 'gnome' meta package installed.
                      That's not so ancient software for something that's going to become the next Debian Stable.

Debian's Gnome Team only update the packages if there is changed code included and meta packages are only version-bumped
                      when most the dependencies have been version-bumped. Saves on upgrade-spam which makes server-admins happier.

Comment

Working...
                      X