Red Hat Pushing DNF 5 Into Development For Improving The Package Manager

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Red Hat Pushing DNF 5 Into Development For Improving The Package Manager

Phoronix: Red Hat Pushing DNF 5 Into Development For Improving The Package Manager

The Yum successor DNF on Fedora and Red Hat Linux distributions (among other select RPM distributions) is soon embarking on its fifth major iteration...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Hopefully they'll bring back package dependencies resolution back on screen - it was hugely useful in yum and they removed it for dnf for some reasons. You can reenable by using debugging flags, but the output is just a horrible, unreadable mess.

Comment

I hope for dnf to just become faster, use more optimized repo metadata updates - updates check with dnf is painfully slow compared to apt.

Comment

I actually like DNF so improvements are a good thing. Frankly I never thought that speed was an issue. The biggest issue I have is that on Fedora you eventually end up with broken apps or install problems. Most of the time that doesn't appear to be DNF per say but rather packaging issues and supporting too many variants.

Comment

And zypper gets no love. While I admit I'm partial to the apt-like syntax, it's speed and functionality have never left me disappointed.

Comment

After all these years using linux i am still surprised why everyone hasn't adopted pacman and get on doing other things. That thing is flawless.

Comment

Originally posted by 89c51 View Post
              After all these years using linux i am still surprised why everyone hasn't adopted pacman and get on doing other things. That thing is flawless.
              dnfs feature set dwarfs that of pacman.

dnf supports transactions, history, rollback, pkgconfig integration, file search etc

you can even pipe coredumps into dnf and it will go and it fetch the missing debug symbols for you.
              Last edited by Britoid; 05 March 2020, 07:12 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by 89c51 View Post
                I've been using yum/dnf since their inception, i.e. for over 10 years now, and I've hardly had any issues whatsoever.

Comment

Originally posted by wizard69 View Post
                  I actually like DNF so improvements are a good thing. Frankly I never thought that speed was an issue. The biggest issue I have is that on Fedora you eventually end up with broken apps or install problems. Most of the time that doesn't appear to be DNF per say but rather packaging issues and supporting too many variants.
                  In my experience, broken updates on Fedora are nearly always caused by "sideloading" RPMs from the web.

Comment

Stop writing system tools in Python ヽ( ͠°෴ °)ノ

Comment

Working...
                    X