Red Hat Pushing DNF 5 Into Development For Improving The Package Manager

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
    Until the tool you use quits being maintained by the community member who maintained it.

It's like thinking one can rely on a random AUR package for Pacman hooks for ZFS backup and restoration. A bunch of those have come and gone already.
    You are talking about tools that are central to pacman, which is central to Arch itself. Arch would have to cease to exist for what you are talking about to occur.

Comment

Originally posted by ptrwis View Post
      Things don't need to be performance-critical to be compiled, compilation is also a process of verifying the code
      Verifying is used in a very limited way here. Compilers don't catch so much stuff that it's not really "verified" in any way.

Comment

Originally posted by andyprough View Post

You are talking about tools that are central to pacman, which is central to Arch itself. Arch would have to cease to exist for what you are talking about to occur.
        How TF is a random tool from the AUR central to Pacman and, therefore, central to Arch?

If I used an actual package from the Core Repository, yeah, you'd have something....but from AUR....those are the worst straws you can grasp for.

Comment

Originally posted by Britoid View Post

Well yes, you can also mess it up by just removing the files yourself.

But we're talking about dnf vs pacman here.
          Well, I'll concede that there's some slight protection from an insane newbie typing dnf commands they have no idea about. But other than that rare situation, Fedora has all the tools you could possibly need to rip it to shreds.

Comment

How TF is a random tool from the AUR central to Pacman and, therefore, central to Arch?

If I used an actual package from the Core Repository, yeah, you'd have something....but from AUR....those are the worst straws you can grasp for.
            No clue what you are talking about. To my knowledge, pacman's critical tools are not maintained on AUR by local yocals.

Comment

Originally posted by vb_linux View Post

Javascript, Ruby, Perl ---Yes.

Java --- No in terms of performance, yes in terms of ease of use. But any enterprise system should still prefer Java over Python.
              As I said a few posts later https://www.phoronix.com/forums/foru...60#post1163660 I was talking in the context of system tools and applications, not payload applications where high performance matters.

I mean yes, Java is still very much faster and better than scripting languages for any serious application that needs performance.

Comment

No clue what you are talking about. To my knowledge, pacman's critical tools are not maintained on AUR by local yocals.
                Are you retarded? Here's our entire conversation.

This is all available under pacman or with its tools. Just because tools have been rolled directly into dnf doesn't change the actual behavior. End user doesn't give a crap if the package manager or its tools are doing the work.

Until the tool you use quits being maintained by the community member who maintained it.

It's like thinking one can rely on a random AUR package for Pacman hooks for ZFS backup and restoration. A bunch of those have come and gone already.

Comment

I would also take this occasion to remind everyone the UNIX/Linux philosophy: use one tool for one job. Rolling many things into dnf seems to go against that.

And about Python: speed of development. No compiled language (save maybe for Go) can match that.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

I would also take this occasion to remind everyone the UNIX/Linux philosophy: use one tool for one job. Rolling many things into dnf seems to go against that.

And about Python: speed of development. No compiled language (save maybe for Go) can match that.
                    Or it goes with the philosophy by providing one tool for the job of package management.

But....dnf+yum+rpm....can't defend that.

Comment

Are you retarded? Here's our entire conversation.
                      You appear to be having a conversation with yourself about ZFS backup, which I have said nothing about and have zero interest in. But please, don't mind me, proceed...

Comment

Working...
                      X