Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RahulSundaram
    replied
    Passing of time can indeed be data measured through things like benchmarks. You didn’t provide any however.

Leave a comment:

• RahulSundaram
    replied
    Originally posted by orangemanbad

"Let me just stick my hand in this fire real quick. Wow, it feels incredibly painful, as if it's burning to a crisp, but without Data™ I'm not sure what the correct action is..."
    Fun example that proves my point quite well. The sensation of pain is experiential data. That's what makes it actionable

Leave a comment:

• RahulSundaram
    replied

you don't need data to prove it.
    You absolutely need data for actionable claims. Otherwise you are just relying on faith

Leave a comment:

• RahulSundaram
    replied

Clutching at straws. Still not addressing the slowness.
    I was responding to the question of history functionality which is something I use quite often.

On dnf performance: If you have any data such as benchmarks that demonstrates that issue, feel free to post that. Merely claiming something is not actionable.

Leave a comment:

• Britoid
    replied

Clutching at straws. Still not addressing the slowness.

Red Hat car salesman: "the top speed is only 18 mp/h but it has a built-in muffin toaster, a roof-mounted foghorn and a urinal in the back."
    The slowness isn't unbearable and isn't something that needs to be addressed, you're looking for an issue where there isn't one.

You're just "clutching at straws".

Leave a comment:

• andyprough
    replied
    Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
    Compare this with the useless fucking garbage that is apt, that:
    does not give any warning if the dependency list is completely screwed up and it's trying to delete core system components while also
    enforcing dependencies like it's the last will of its dying son and refusing to let me fix issues or packaging errors without casting arcane spells involving dpkg.
    I don't recall it that way at all, but my last experience on a Debian-ish system was MX and antiX. I know that they customize a lot of stuff - could be that they are passing some restrictions to apt.

Also, dpkg was not difficult to me, and you can fix most broken dependency problems with a click of a button in synaptic. Big difference I see with Arch (Artix) right now is that with pacman I haven't had to try to fix anything, all has worked to perfection. My past experiences with Arch were not as pleasant - hopefully its been getting better while I was away.

Leave a comment:

• starshipeleven
    replied
    Originally posted by andyprough View Post

Good times. I guess you were right, you CAN screw up with zypper pretty easily. I never chose the one that said "ignore the warning of broken system" when I used Tumbleweed. I'm just too much of a chicken.
    Addendum, on OpenSUSE if you use btrfs for root on GRUB Boot splash you can choose "advanced boot" and reboot into a older snapshot, and the system makes snapshots before you call zypper, so you could actually get away with that and just roll back.

Leave a comment:

• starshipeleven
    replied
    Good times. I guess you were right, you CAN screw up with zypper pretty easily.
    Well, no, that's untrue.

Zypper gives a warning if you are about to do bad stuff with core system packages (apt does not do that), so if you aren't a complete moron you can get the message that what you are doing is bad and if you are just "updating the PC" you should fucking stop right now and figure out what's going on.

But it does not mindlessly enforce dependencies and allows you full control over the system.

Because really, I'm root, goddamnit. I can sudo cat /dev/zero > /dev/sda or sudo rm -Rf / (linux equivalent of Windows's "format C") and there is nothing in the OS that will stop me.

Compare this with the useless fucking garbage that is apt, that:
    does not give any warning if the dependency list is completely screwed up and it's trying to delete core system components while also
    enforcing dependencies like it's the last will of its dying son and refusing to let me fix issues or packaging errors without casting arcane spells involving dpkg.

Leave a comment:

• andyprough
    replied
    Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
    The VM crashed shortly after and couldn't boot anymore.
    I mean yes it booted to the kernel, but the OS crashed and kernel panicked, reboot, and so on.
    Yes I have a OpenSUSE VM on a OpenSUSE host for testing and development, no I don't care about its wellbeing as I have snapshots I can restore it with a couple clicks.
    Good times. I guess you were right, you CAN screw up with zypper pretty easily. I never chose the one that said "ignore the warning of broken system" when I used Tumbleweed. I'm just too much of a chicken.

Leave a comment:

• starshipeleven
    replied

So? What happened when you chose #1? We need pics of your smoking, smoldering Tumbleweed rig, or it didn't happen.
    The VM crashed shortly after and couldn't boot anymore.
    I mean it booted to the kernel, but the OS crashed and kernel panicked, reboot, and so on.
    Yes I have a OpenSUSE VM on a OpenSUSE host for testing and development, no I don't care about its wellbeing as I have snapshots I can restore it with a couple clicks.
    Last edited by starshipeleven; 05 March 2020, 07:24 PM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X