Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ptrwis View Post
    Stop writing system tools in Python ヽ( ͠°෴ °)ノ
    Not happening anytime soon. It's one of the more easier languages to pick up.

The thing that's gonna keep Python around and on top for a good while to come are all the frameworks based around it.

From what I can tell, Go is the likely (compiled) language to take on Python in regards to an ease-of-use for beginners aspect.

Comment

Originally posted by ptrwis View Post
      Stop writing system tools in Python ヽ( ͠°෴ °)ノ
      It's better than Java, javascript, Perl and Ruby.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
        It's better than Java, javascript, Perl and Ruby.
        you are Just comparing oranges with apples here.

Java has nothing to do with perl and JS and barely with python and ruby.
        They are just different tools for different purposes.

Comment

Originally posted by cynic View Post
          Java has nothing to do with perl and JS and barely with python and ruby.
          They are just different tools for different purposes.
          Not really. I'm not comparing language features.

Java, Python, JS, Perl and Ruby can be (and were) used to make system tools and basic GUI applications at one point in time or another.
          Java fell out of favor for that a decade ago, Perl and Ruby are also not that hot since a while, JS has the whole node.js thing and there are js applications, Python is very common and it's replacing older stuff even.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
            Not really. I'm not comparing language features.

Java, Python, JS, Perl and Ruby can be (and were) used to make system tools and basic GUI applications at one point in time or another.
            Java fell out of favor for that a decade ago, Perl and Ruby are also not that hot since a while, JS has the whole node.js thing and there are js applications, Python is very common and it's replacing older stuff even.
            Exactly, and I don't know a better way of putting this, but Python has become the dumping ground of scripting languages. If something was popular on some other scripting language in the past, someone has likely ported it to Python.

It's the Swiss Army Knife of scripting languages.

Comment

Originally posted by orangemanbad
              • Pacman has done transactions for years
              • You can do file search with pkgfile
              • /var/log/pacman.log stores all history
              • You can easily implement rollback with alpm-hooks

Even if you weren't wrong about pacman lacking those things, it still wouldn't make up for the EXCRUCIATING slowness of dnf. Pacman can be finished installing before dnf has even downloaded 10% of the comically bloated repo data.

IBM/Red Hat should consider asking the dnf/yum team what the f**k they've been doing for the last 5-10 years. Because they certainly haven't made it any less painful to use.
              But pacman doesn't have those things if you have to use another utility to do them.

So, no I wasn't wrong lol.

pacman will also happily (and nothing wrong with this), let you destroy your system. dnf (where it's used in mission critical environments) will not.
              Last edited by Britoid; 05 March 2020, 10:08 AM.

Comment

It is admirable how they do everything by themselves...

particularly with moving away from PackageKit
                Before they impose PackageKit everywhere and then they want get rid of it...

🤷‍♂️

Comment

Originally posted by Danielsan View Post
                  It is admirable how they do everything by themselves...

Before they impose PackageKit everywhere and then they want get rid of it...

🤷‍♂️
                  The way PackageKit works doesn't quite jive with how their atomic systems work. I don't know all the details other than they've been removing PackageKit wherever they can on Silverblue and it's variants. All I know is that there are a bunch of oddball bug reports around it and that It's no longer necessary on my F32 Kinoite atomic desktop.

Code:
                  ● ostree://kinoite:fedora/32/x86_64/kinoite
                  Version: Kinoite 32.1 (2020-02-24T15:54:21Z)
                  BaseCommit: 8a23e912911f0df8fbf0d4aeb3708b775c1b286825cb5c3284 cd8bcaa0d84b90
                  GPGSignature: Valid signature by C8D83B6AE4B8685A7290545FDB27818F78688F83
                  LayeredPackages: ffmpeg-libs gstreamer1-libav gstreamer1-plugin-openh264 gstreamer1-plugins-bad-freeworld gstreamer1-plugins-ugly gstreamer1-vaapi kcalc mozilla-openh264 mpv
                  smplayer smplayer-themes xorg-x11-drv-amdgpu yakuake
                  LocalPackages: rpmfusion-free-release-32-0.3.noarch rpmfusion-nonfree-release-32-0.4.noarch
                  Managed to trim my layered packaged down a bit too. Frickin surprised kcalc doesn't have a Flat. Yakuake I get, but the damn calculator

Code:
                  MOZ_DISABLE_GMP_SANDBOX=1 firefox
                  Is the command y'all need to know if you use Firefox on Silverblue 32 and want to watch Netflix, Hulu, etc....that won't (or shouldn't) be necessary with the next Firefox release.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
                    Exactly, and I don't know a better way of putting this, but Python has become the dumping ground of scripting languages. If something was popular on some other scripting language in the past, someone has likely ported it to Python.

It's the Swiss Army Knife of scripting languages.
                    I wouldn't use the "dumping ground" term for Python, but yeah, it's basically taking over anything that is too complex for a shell script and not performance-critical enough to be compiled.

Comment

Originally posted by orangemanbad
                      Getting a common cold is better than contracting HIV, Syphilis and Coronavirus.
                      Yeah that's exactly my point. It's not amazing by any stretch of the imagination, but it's siginficantly better than most other alternatives.

Comment

Working...
                      X