Linspire 8.7 Trying To Lure Windows Users With Switch From KDE To MATE Desktop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by andyprough View Post

Congratulations on finding someone who prefers Gnome over KDE to quote. That must have been a very difficult research project for you. Did you ask Siri, or Alexa?
    While I don't know who 144Hz quoted, what I do know is what actual Red Hat and Fedora engineers, volunteers, etc have told me and what they told me, specifically about KDE Plasma mind you, is damn-near word-for-word what is in his quotes.

Comment

> Phone support? I can see this being useful to non-advanced users.

For example, Kubuntu has phone support, and you don't need to pay anything previously.

You use it if you need it.

Comment

Am I the only one who thinks that all major distros defaulting to non-KDE desktop environments and most of the business support goes into GNOME is one of the things holding Linux back a little bit by ensuring that KDE is more buggy? I haven't tried GNOME 3, but when I tried GNOME 2, I remember how alien it was and felt. KDE felt so much more like home to someone who grew up with Windows.

Comment

"How can we get more people to switch from Windows to Linux???"

By copying Windows, obviously.

Comment

> KDE felt so much more like home to someone who grew up with Windows.

I felt the same.

> distros defaulting to non-KDE desktop environments

From their point of view, it's difficult to compete against a distribution (like Kubuntu) that can be preinstalled (buying computers from ZaReason, Slimbook, Kubuntu Focus, ThinkPenguin, etc.) and also has commercial support available...

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

While I don't know who 144Hz quoted, what I do know is what actual Red Hat and Fedora engineers, volunteers, etc have told me and what they told me, specifically about KDE Plasma mind you, is damn-near word-for-word what is in his quotes.
              Shocking that they prefer Gnome over KDE, given that they are a Gnome distro and that the Gnome project is basically an arm of RedHat.

Comment

Originally posted by Britoid View Post
                "How can we get more people to switch from Windows to Linux???"

By copying Windows, obviously.
                "Hello Cortana"
                "Yes, I'll be your GNU/Linux assistant today."

Comment

Originally posted by Prescience500 View Post
                  Am I the only one who thinks that all major distros defaulting to non-KDE desktop environments and most of the business support goes into GNOME is one of the things holding Linux back a little bit by ensuring that KDE is more buggy? I haven't tried GNOME 3, but when I tried GNOME 2, I remember how alien it was and felt. KDE felt so much more like home to someone who grew up with Windows.
                  Hate to say this since I'm a KDE user, but I think it's one of those things that will help in the adoption of Linux.

The smartphone generation doesn't like the classical Windows 95-7/Plasma layout. Gnome, unfortunately, operates in a very similar manner to a smartphone so they feel at home on it; like iOS with an App Drawer.

A lot of the "hardcore geeks" have this thing against using a mouse to control the desktop and Gnome is better with keyboard-only than Plasma.

Basically, Gnome somehow managed to cater to the dumbass casuals and the 1337 assholes at the same time. That's impressive when you think about it.

If you're like and you're somewhere in between or prefer mouse movements and the classical desktop experience. Plasma and Mate are both equally good, but I prefer and use Plasma because I don't like the way GTK3 went.

Comment

Originally posted by andyprough View Post

Shocking that they prefer Gnome over KDE, given that they are a Gnome distro and that the Gnome project is basically an arm of RedHat.
                    Fedora does ship some pretty unnecessary defaults like the dbus viewer (that one was specifically pointed out to me). All those unnecessary defaults both add to testing and contribute to Fedora not being release ready.

But it isn't about them liking Gnome over KDE, it's about them wanting less stuff to be considered release blocking so they can be release ready and not be held up because the, pulling something out of my ass here, KDE emoji picker sometimes adds two emojis instead of one (I made that up...it's one of the default programs on my F32 Plasma desktop so I used it as an example).

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

Fedora does ship some pretty unnecessary defaults like the dbus viewer (that one was specifically pointed out to me). All those unnecessary defaults both add to testing and contribute to Fedora not being release ready.

But it isn't about them liking Gnome over KDE, it's about them wanting less stuff to be considered release blocking so they can be release ready and not be held up because the, pulling something out of my ass here, KDE emoji picker sometimes adds two emojis instead of one (I made that up...it's one of the default programs on my F32 Plasma desktop so I used it as an example).
                      At least Fedora doesn't ship with a HP Printer Manager

But yes, Fedora isn't the best for defaults

Comment

Working...
                      X