No announcement yet.

Linspire 8.7 Trying To Lure Windows Users With Switch From KDE To MATE Desktop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KDE is more Windows-like than MATE and it's also faster.
    KDE has Dolphin, the best Linux file manager, it can connect to almost everything and it's very customizable
    MATE is was fast until the GTK3 port, at least this is how I felt it.
    KDE has also Android phone integration with KDE Connect.
    I agree with the user who said that distros not using KDE by default is what is holding Linux adoption back.

MATE is nice, but since I discovered KDE, there's no turning back, so Linspire's developelopers' decision is just stupid.

Comment

Originally posted by andyprough View Post

"Hello Cortana"
      "Yes, I'll be your GNU/Linux assistant today."
      systemd/Linux, not GNU/Linux.

Comment

Why not just port KDE/GNOME/MATE to Windows Core?

Comment

Originally posted by ALRBP View Post
          [On their website] "The leading Open Source Desktop Alternative"
          "Leading". Are they serious?
          I didn't even know they still existed.
          This is a standard marketing phrase. Every company on earth says they're "leading" in their field. The number of leaders in every field of endeavour is equal to the number of existing products or companies. Every professional copywriter "knows" they have to include this phrase on every website (typically as the very first sentence or main slogan), so every product is a leading solution, even if it just started yesterday and nobody has ever heard of it. Well, except for true market leaders, who typically don't include this obligatory phrase on their websites, because everybody knows.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
            But it isn't about them liking Gnome over KDE, it's about them wanting less stuff to be considered release blocking so they can be release ready and not be held up because the, pulling something out of my ass here, KDE emoji picker sometimes adds two emojis instead of one (I made that up...it's one of the default programs on my F32 Plasma desktop so I used it as an example).
            Yes, I'm sure your example is absolutely correct, it's the KDE emojis that are the reason RedHat folks prefer Gnome, not the untold millions of dollars and man hours they've poured into the Gnome project. Makes total sense. And I'm totally certain that if RedHat suddenly discovered tomorrow that KDE was superior, they would immediately drop-kick the entire Gnome project into the nearest trash dumpster. Because that's the way that companies make business decisions.

Comment

And I'm totally certain that if RedHat suddenly discovered tomorrow that KDE was superior, they would immediately drop-kick the entire Gnom
              You couldn't be more wrong.

Comment

Just as everyone tries to mimic Windows, MSFT goes and changes it again.

https://www.pcworld.com/article/3530...ive-tiles.html

Comment

skeevy420

Gnome 3 idea is actually inspired by the old Xerox GlobalView interface from the 1980.

http://toastytech.com/guis/gv.html

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
                    KDE has Dolphin, the best Linux file manager, it can connect to almost everything and it's very customizable
                    MATE is was fast until the GTK3 port, at least this is how I felt it.
                    KDE has also Android phone integration with KDE Connect.
                    I agree with the user who said that distros not using KDE by default is what is holding Linux adoption back.
                    I can't recall what it's like without Dolphin much(I'm a KDE user since 2016), but I do know that KIO has been a pain point preventing apps from being able to properly utilize remote shares if they don't natively have KIO support. That's being addressed this year(or has been since the 2020 roadmap announcement, I haven't been keeping up to date on that), but has been an issue for quite some time now.. Gnome and friends don't have that issue and generally have had a better samba experience too iirc.

GTK3 has been known to get bad perf and be a bit of a resource hog, basically the reputation KDE had in the past. That does appear to be changing over the years(with some unfortunate decisions that gut out nice things), no idea what the state of it is now, but from all the phoronix news that I see about it, I'd say it's well on it's way to probably resolving the performance issue. Ubuntu defaulting to it probably helps a fair bit there too, so from a viewpoint of bias, if GTK3/Gnome becomes worthwhile, it's because of the sheer amount of resources it receives compared to the competition. Can't say I'm a fan of GTK2, that's got to be one of the annoying things to deal with as a KDE user, getting GTK2/3 file browser dialogs from apps, GTK2 is really awful there.

Gnome offers KDE Connect equivalent, I think it's called GSConnect or something. I mostly use KDE Connect for the copy/paste functionality(which is frustratingly hit/miss sometimes, no clue why it fails when ping works). Controlling media is pretty neat, as is the file exchange(although my PC receives zip files with random numbers as filenames instead of preserving the filename..), remote input is nice too as long as you don't need to do any ctrl/alt/meta shortcuts and the like, has definitely saved me when the kernel threw a tantrum and refused USB keyboard/mouse input. No clue what the Gnome alternative is like in comparison.

While I'd love to see KDE get more love and support, as long as one DE is seeing strong development, that's ok for now. Better that resources are pooled/focused, especially in open-source/volunteer contributions where progress can be slow compared to Windows/macOS. Which is also slightly sad about Wayland, since efforts there are further fragmented it seems for each DE, rather than sharing more(afaik anyway?). I'd really like to see that progress more, especially with how X11 isn't seeing much release wise despite the piling changes, but it seems XWayland is still going to be around for a while, and well.. I'm still on nvidia hardware so I don't expect Wayland to be all that viable for years, unless I can afford to get AMD(but I rely on software that only supports CUDA for compute, no competitive alternatives).

As far as Linspire goes, their taskbar/panel looked poorly designed, icons lacked consistent and padding/margin, felt very claustrophobic almost design wise. Then they open the start menu and it again shows off unpleasant icons, pretty sure Windows is not that bad these days. I agree that Plasma is plenty capable of providing the look/functionality that is familiar to Windows users, they didn't quite explain where it lacked there compared to MATE afaik?

Comment

Originally posted by edwaleni View Post
                      Just as everyone tries to mimic Windows, MSFT goes and changes it again.

https://www.pcworld.com/article/3530...ive-tiles.html

Oh cool, so now the widget that was meant to give this sort of functionality is more accurate at mimicking the menu since it only did icon-only tiles iirc:

https://www.pling.com/p/1160672

Comment

Working...
                      X