Arch-Based Manjaro 19.0 Released With Flagship Edition Using Xfce 4.14

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Arch-Based Manjaro 19.0 Released With Flagship Edition Using Xfce 4.14

Phoronix: Arch-Based Manjaro 19.0 Released With Flagship Edition Using Xfce 4.14

Manjaro 19.0 is out today as this popular desktop-focused Arch Linux based distribution that is focused on its Xfce desktop spin but also offers other desktop options...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Manjaro's kernel should include also MuQSS patch. Recently i can't even imagine using kernel without it (especially playing games, seeing difference ~10fps), that's... too slow.
    Last edited by StarterX4; 25 February 2020, 12:44 PM.

Comment

As someone who ran it for the past two years damn-near exclusively, including 2/3's of the Plasma alphas and betas on actual hardware for the 19.0 release, and on and off the previous three years before that, I wish them the best of luck going forward.

The Breath2 theme is really nice on Plasma and Gnome if you're into green themes and their Gnome layout switcher was almost enough to make me want to use Gnome full-time. But if you're one of the people who doesn't like Gnome because you like the "traditional Windows 95" workflow like me, their layout switcher has a setup to suite your needs. So if you're overwhelmed by Plasma's choices but don't like Gnome's modern take on things, give Manjaro's Gnome Edition a try because they're layout switcher might pleasantly surprise you.

I happened to try an ostree based OS in the past week and fell in love with how it handles things so I moved on to not-as-greener pastures.

Comment

Gnome rocks, anyway!

Comment

Michael, can I get that one approved?

EDIT: Thank you.
          Last edited by skeevy420; 25 February 2020, 01:06 PM.

Comment

manjaro architect allows for many other DEs, I used it to install Cinnamon and am very happy so far. there's several kernels in the aur that allow for customization, only thing I wish you could do on the initial install.

Comment

Originally posted by StarterX4 View Post
              Manjaro's kernel should include also MuQSS patch. Recently i can't even imagine using kernel without it (especially playing games, seeing difference ~10fps), that's... too slow.
              As a custom kernel that can be selected/installed? Sure. But not as a default tbh.

MuQSS(or BMQ for that matter) both stub out cgroup support rather than properly support it. That causes problems when software requires(or thinks it's available) cgroups support. For example Docker, Facebooks OOMD, Ananicy(nicnesse daemon), Schedutil(CPU / task scheduler), etc. They can look at the kernel and notice that cgroups support is available, which for those that don't require cgroups will assume it's a working implementation and switch that feature on, otherwise break. With the stubs, the metrics get thrown out of whack, so OOMD doesn't work properly, Docker can't properly apply resource constraints iirc, and things like schedutil would not be able to make proper decisions which could cause higher power loss or lower performance. Systemd also kind of expects the support to be working I think?

So uhh.. for the casual users which I assume is many for Manjaro(I use Manjaro too btw), perhaps MuQSS would be nice and not cause any issues(assuming Manjaro doesn't add OOMD or Schedutil for their benefits too), but cause some nasty surprises for any user that chooses to venture out into software like above that doesn't play well with it. I think even BFQ for disk I/O scheduling uses cgroups now too, however I've read it might not be affected as the stubbed out cgroup support I think is only related to CPU cgroup features like accounting.

Comment

Originally posted by polarathene View Post
                So uhh.. for the casual users which I assume is many for Manjaro
                Never say "uhh" or "umm" online. It looks dumb.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
                  I happened to try an ostree based OS in the past week and fell in love with how it handles things so I moved on to not-as-greener pastures.
                  Which one is that, Endless OS? What do you like about it? I'm reading about transactional upgrades, rollbacks, parallel installing more than 2 bootable roots, ability to add flatpak as a repo - how does all this play out in practice, and does it live up to the hype?

Comment

Originally posted by chriseggroll View Post
                    manjaro architect allows for many other DEs, I used it to install Cinnamon and am very happy so far. there's several kernels in the aur that allow for customization, only thing I wish you could do on the initial install.
                    If you have multiple hard disks or you don't mind the painfully slow speeds of USB thumb drives, you can set up a local repo and install Manjaro from your existing Manjaro with all of your AUR packages. I do that method when setting up advanced format disks. I've been bit in the ass too many times doing unnecessarily overly-complicated storage setups.

It's literally no different than doing an Arch install outside of using the Manjaro tools...manjaro-chroot over arch-chroot, etc.

Comment

Working...
                    X