OpenSUSE Leap 15.2 Begins Seeing Beta Builds, Official Release Due In May

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OpenSUSE Leap 15.2 Begins Seeing Beta Builds, Official Release Due In May

Phoronix: OpenSUSE Leap 15.2 Begins Seeing Beta Builds, Official Release Due In May

OpenSUSE Leap 15.2 has rolled past its alpha phase and is now producing rolling-release beta builds for this version of openSUSE built off the SUSE Linux Enterprise 15 sources...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I installed it a few days ago on my notebook and it works well without problems. Excellent updates to Plasma 18.

Comment

Currently, It's using Kernel 5.3.18, I'd rather they had gone for the 5.4 LTS Kernel released last November.

Comment

Originally posted by Slartifartblast View Post
        Currently, It's using Kernel 5.3.18, I'd rather they had gone for the 5.4 LTS Kernel released last November.
        LTS kernel is less important for a release that lasts only one year and a half

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
          LTS kernel is less important for a release that lasts only one year and a half
          I felt the same way last time I ran Leap and it was on 4.13 and not 4.14 LTS. Some of us would rather depend on GKH to deliver kernel updates and not necessarily the distribution to backport fixes into their kernels like Ubuntu and SUSE do (and others but I don't hop around a whole lot these days).

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

I felt the same way last time I ran Leap and it was on 4.13 and not 4.14 LTS. Some of us would rather depend on GKH to deliver kernel updates and not necessarily the distribution to backport fixes into their kernels like Ubuntu and SUSE do (and others but I don't hop around a whole lot these days).
            The problem is that Leap uses the same kernel as SLE, which means that it takes a long time to ensure that the enterprise tool works correctly, in addition to solving other problems. This is the reason why they cannot use a recently released kernel and with 5.4 they have not made it in time. Users who want a newer kernel can always install it from the (unofficial) repositories.

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie68 View Post

The problem is that Leap uses the same kernel as SLE, which means that it takes a long time to ensure that the enterprise tool works correctly, in addition to solving other problems. This is the reason why they cannot use a recently released kernel and with 5.4 they have not made it in time. Users who want a newer kernel can always install it from the (unofficial) repositories.
              I know why and what to do. It's just one of those first impression things that only a pedantic nerd would notice or even care about.

Most people only care if their key software works and everything else is irrelevant....or why XP still exists in the wild....

Only sys-admins, distribution maintainers, and bored Phoronix users without nothing else to talk about care about things like a distribution shipping 4.13.28 over 4.14.17 or 5.3.9 over 5.4.9

Comment

I know why and what to do. It's just one of those first impression things that only a pedantic nerd would notice or even care about.

Most people only care if their key software works and everything else is irrelevant....or why XP still exists in the wild....

Only sys-admins, distribution maintainers, and bored Phoronix users without nothing else to talk about care about things like a distribution shipping 4.13.28 over 4.14.17 or 5.3.9 over 5.4.9

Comment

Yes, but the kernel will be maintained, no security problems unlike XP.

Comment

Some of us would rather depend on GKH to deliver kernel updates and not necessarily the distribution to backport fixes into their kernels.
                    Rather than the bugfixes GKH decide to deliver, I personally prefer the bakported fixes and features/drivers delivered by the distribution. Obviusly paired with the extensive testing and QA done by the Suse team.

Comment

Working...
                    X