Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• snarfel
    replied
    **LUKS+ swap and hibernate issues when trying to use the installer that have been fixed with recently released kpmcore 4.1

Leave a comment:

• snarfel
    replied
    Originally posted by muncrief View Post
    I recently switched from Manjaro to Arch and have been very happy with it so far. My only suggestion is that they at least offer a default GUI installer as an option.
    EndeavourOS is pretty much just Arch w/ a GUI installer (e.g. kernel is -Arch based, etc). Comes with a netinstaller so you can select from one of 10ish desktop environments. The next image scheduled for release this month should fix some LUKS and hibernate issues if you come across them with the current image.

Leave a comment:

• Chugworth
    replied
    I recently switched from Manjaro to Arch and have been very happy with it so far. My only suggestion is that they at least offer a default GUI installer as an option.

I mean my goodness, I'm an old time hardware/firmware/software designer and even I find it an unnecessarily complicated process. Yes, we can all use the command line, and I guess for some that's impressive or a mark of superiority. But I can also do long division by hand, but use a calculator instead because doing long division by hand in the year 2020 would be silly
    Well it becomes a problem when everyone just uses a calculator for long division and doesn't know how to do it by hand. In a rolling distro that's constantly on the cutting edge, things can break and the user needs to know how to repair them. The complicated installation wards off any users who would not be comfortable with that. Also, you're not just getting some generic configuration. You build the system exactly how you want it with all of the packages that you need and none of that packages that you don't need. Once you've been through the installation and documented all of the steps that are right for you, future installations are not that bad at all. In very little time I could install an Arch system that boots with EFISTUB and runs on a LUKS-encrypted Btrfs partition that supports snapshot and rollback functionality with Snapper. It's mostly just a matter of copying and pasting commands through SSH.

Leave a comment:

• andyprough
    replied
    Originally posted by halo9en View Post

Custom repositories = delayed releases. If you need an installer there are alternatives (Arcolinux, Endeavour, etc) using regular Arch repos.
    What are the delay times - hours? Maybe a couple of days at most? I'm using Artix with some custom repositories plus Arch repositories, but the packages seem to land right on time. Could be that Manjaro is a much longer delay though, I haven't ever done anything more with it than try the live USB.

Leave a comment:

• kaprikawn
    replied
    I for one welcome our new Arch overlord

Leave a comment:

• halo9en
    replied
    Originally posted by WebMac View Post
    That's exactly why I switched from Arch to Manjaro on my new PC. It offers an awesome out-of-the-box experience! For me Manjaro is the better way of "using Arch" on the desktop.
    Custom repositories = delayed releases. If you need an installer there are alternatives (Arcolinux, Endeavour, etc) using regular Arch repos.

Leave a comment:

• WebMac
    replied
    That's exactly why I switched from Arch to Manjaro on my new PC. It offers an awesome out-of-the-box experience! For me Manjaro is the better way of "using Arch" on the desktop.

Leave a comment:

• halo9en
    replied
    Infosec guy & CCC member, sounds like great news.

(And anyway, thanks Aaron)

Leave a comment:

• rhavenn
    replied

I mean my goodness, I'm an old time hardware/firmware/software designer and even I find it an unnecessarily complicated process. Yes, we can all use the command line, and I guess for some that's impressive or a mark of superiority. But I can also do long division by hand, but use a calculator instead because doing long division by hand in the year 2020 would be silly

In any case, once you get it installed and set up, and research and fix the many quirks in setting up a full desktop system from such a low level, Arch really is awesome. My anecdotal experience is that it seems much faster than Manjaro, and there's more flexibility when attempting to install or experiment with the latest Linux features and developments. Manjaro does a great job of being an easier to use bleeding edge distro, but some of those ease of use features like kernel and GPU driver management can cause difficulty when attempting to utilize modified kernels and drivers.
    Yeah, but the "hardest" part is the disk partitioning and boot loader stuff. Once you're rebooted and "up" then installing a desktop manager, a desktop meta package , a few drivers, Xorg, and some tools is literally a 1-line pacman command. Normally, you don't have to make any changes outside of the package defaults.

So, unless you're building an installer to handle all of the above and the variables associated with that then just having a "default" desktop doesn't really add much. If you go that far then you're basically Manjaro.

Leave a comment:

• muncrief
    replied

In any case, once you get it installed and set up, and research and fix the many quirks in setting up a full desktop system from such a low level, Arch really is awesome. My anecdotal experience is that it seems much faster than Manjaro, and there's more flexibility when attempting to install or experiment with the latest Linux features and developments. Manjaro does a great job of being an easier to use bleeding edge distro, but some of those ease of use features like kernel and GPU driver management can cause difficulty when attempting to utilize modified kernels and drivers.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X