Arch Linux Announces New Project Leader

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by muncrief View Post
    I recently switched from Manjaro to Arch and have been very happy with it so far. My only suggestion is that they at least offer a default GUI installer as an option.
    EndeavourOS is pretty much just Arch w/ a GUI installer (e.g. kernel is -Arch based, etc). Comes with a netinstaller so you can select from one of 10ish desktop environments. The next image scheduled for release this month should fix some LUKS and hibernate issues if you come across them with the current image.

Comment

**LUKS+ swap and hibernate issues when trying to use the installer that have been fixed with recently released kpmcore 4.1

Comment

Originally posted by halo9en View Post

Custom repositories = delayed releases. If you need an installer there are alternatives (Arcolinux, Endeavour, etc) using regular Arch repos.
        That's what I thought at first. But now I just think that I prefer packages, that are a bit more stable than being "bleeding edge".

Comment

Originally posted by kaprikawn View Post
          I for one welcome our new Arch overlord
          tip of the hat to Kent Brockman

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
            Aaron, you will be missed.
            I'm still missing Judd, when Arch was a good distro.

Comment

Originally posted by WebMac View Post

That's what I thought at first. But now I just think that I prefer packages, that are a bit more stable than being "bleeding edge".
              As a former Manjaro user, that's basically why I was using it. Over the years I got bit by a few of the bugs that crept into Arch Stable and the extra layer of catching crap that Manjaro offers has been nice.

I've since moved on to Fedora Silverblue and I'll likely be using it for a good while even though I'm not that comfortable traditional RPM systems. Once you've done "rpm-ostree rebase fedora:fedora/rawhide/x86_64/silverblue" and saw that stuff didn't jive just right so you needed to revert and the revert process is literally "reboot and pick the old GRUB entry"....it's just awesome.

Not trying to shill for Fedora -- Just saying that from the perspective of someone who has FUBAUR'd their system more than they can count, the benefits that ostree brings kicks some ass.

Anyhoo, as someone whose last 10 years on Linux were 8 years on Arch followed by 2 on Arch-Based, I wish Arch the best of luck going forward and really hope that they somehow adopt ostree. Arch would really, really benefit from ostree.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

As a former Manjaro user, that's basically why I was using it. Over the years I got bit by a few of the bugs that crept into Arch Stable and the extra layer of catching crap that Manjaro offers has been nice.

I've since moved on to Fedora Silverblue and I'll likely be using it for a good while even though I'm not that comfortable traditional RPM systems. Once you've done "rpm-ostree rebase fedora:fedora/rawhide/x86_64/silverblue" and saw that stuff didn't jive just right so you needed to revert and the revert process is literally "reboot and pick the old GRUB entry"....it's just awesome.

Not trying to shill for Fedora -- Just saying that from the perspective of someone who has FUBAUR'd their system more than they can count, the benefits that ostree brings kicks some ass.

Anyhoo, as someone whose last 10 years on Linux were 8 years on Arch followed by 2 on Arch-Based, I wish Arch the best of luck going forward and really hope that they somehow adopt ostree. Arch would really, really benefit from ostree.
                Good luck with Silverblue, I use it too and it stopped me distro hopping.

You'll want to avoid Rawhide though, it's not even rolling, it's master branches.

Comment

Originally posted by Britoid View Post

Good luck with Silverblue, I use it too and it stopped me distro hopping.

You'll want to avoid Rawhide though, it's not even rolling, it's master branches.
                  Yeah, I learned that the hard way last night. Gonna move onto Kinoite 32 sometime today.

Also learned not to remove my base install that doesn't have any extra layers/packages/whatever the proper term is. Real pain in the ass reverting them manually when the rebase fails for whatever reason.

So much easier to boot up the default, rebase wtf:ever, rpm-ostree status, and copy/paste my layered packages.

Been a fun week...with a ton of reboots because I keep forgetting that "rpm-ostree ex livefs" exists.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

Yeah, I learned that the hard way last night. Gonna move onto Kinoite 32 sometime today.

Also learned not to remove my base install that doesn't have any extra layers/packages/whatever the proper term is. Real pain in the ass reverting them manually when the rebase fails for whatever reason.

So much easier to boot up the default, rebase wtf:ever, rpm-ostree status, and copy/paste my layered packages.

Been a fun week...with a ton of reboots because I keep forgetting that "rpm-ostree ex livefs" exists.
                    If you do rpm-ostree reset and then rebase, then re-layer it should let you do all that without needing to do the reboot in the middle.

Try not to use ex lifefs, it will cause more issues than it's worth, there's a reason behind --i-like-danger. Once you've got your base install done, try and use podman/toolbox/flatpak for everything else.

Comment

For those wishing for an installer it could be simple to take the old Antergos installer and use that. Just make sure wipe out all their repo stuff.

Comment

Working...
                      X