Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Benchmarking OpenMandriva's AMD Ryzen Optimized Linux Distribution On The Threadripper 3970X

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Benchmarking OpenMandriva's AMD Ryzen Optimized Linux Distribution On The Threadripper 3970X

Phoronix: Benchmarking OpenMandriva's AMD Ryzen Optimized Linux Distribution On The Threadripper 3970X

While Clear Linux is well known as being the performance-optimized Linux distribution out of Intel and catered towards performing the best on their hardware (though as we continue to show, Clear Linux does also perform incredibly well on AMD hardware too and generally faster than other distributions), when it comes to AMD-optimized distributions the primary example remains OpenMandriva. Since 2018 OpenMandriva has been providing an AMD Zen optimized build where their operating system and entire package archive is built with the "znver1" compiler optimizations. As it's been almost a year since last looking at OpenMandriva's Zen optimized build, here are some fresh benchmarks using the newly-released OpenMandriva 4.1.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Waiting to see a distribution entirely built with clang.
    Last edited by Setif; 23 February 2020, 07:12 AM.

Comment

Interesting benchmarks although I hoped for better numbers for the zenver1 optimized build.

Comment

I like this new graphics for benchmarks results. Well done, Michael

Comment

Originally posted by Setif View Post
          Waiting to see a distribution fully built with clang.
          This is something I'm working on as an LFS project, just working through some kinks with compiler-rt and openmp to get the base toolchain setup and self-reliant.

Cheers,
          Mike

Comment

Originally posted by Setif View Post
            Waiting to see a distribution fully built with clang.
            OpenMandriva is almost there -- glibc is one of the last packages that steadfastly refuse to be compiled with anything other than gcc.

Comment

Originally posted by ms178 View Post
              Interesting benchmarks although I hoped for better numbers for the zenver1 optimized build.
              That may well happen in 4.2 - we're working on some more optimizations. Don't expect any miracles (we're a small team and receiving no support from AMD whatsoever, not even sample hardware), but you can expect some progress.

Comment

Hmm... I could see myself going for the Gentoo route and emerge packages that I want to have that is optimized for zenver1 or zenver2. I'm going to be saving my money for the 4000 series Ryzen CPU.

Comment

Originally posted by berolinux View Post

That may well happen in 4.2 - we're working on some more optimizations. Don't expect any miracles (we're a small team and receiving no support from AMD whatsoever, not even sample hardware), but you can expect some progress.
                  The talk about LTO+PGO for Mesa the other day could be great for gaming. At least Dieter Nützel's numbers seemed to be compelling enough that even upstream thinks about doing it.

Comment

If anyone is planning on building a NES, cloud-gaming platform using AMD hardware, then this AMD-optimized OpenMandriva OS is for probably you! (see the Optcarrot Ruby) benchmark.

If not, it looks like there's pretty much no observable benefit over the non AMD-optimized OpenMandriva OS. Perhaps the peformance gains come from something which isn't being tested... e.g. task switching or handling web requests via Apache/lighttpd.

Comment

Working...
                    X