Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ubuntu 20.04 LTS Moves Ahead With Python 2 Removal - But Sticks Around For Derivatives

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
    It hardly matters. Python2 is EOL, so there's hardly anything for Canonical to maintain. It isn't Canonical's problem if people continue to use something that will no longer be maintained.
    Think like that you have a shop and you are putting some Expired Products (milk, bread whatever) on shelves and saying that it is costumers' problem of consuming it.

Comment

Originally posted by usta View Post

Think like that you have a shop and you are putting some Expired Products (milk, bread whatever) on shelves and saying that it is costumers' problem of consuming it.
      Back in my home town, there was one shop that sold some expired groceries on a separate shelf with a high discount. Of course, the owner did not put up anything that will go bad like milk and stuff, only stuff that was still safe to consume after the expiration date.

Comment

Not a good analogy:
        1. There are fresh products still available (python3)
        2. python2 is free, as is Ubuntu. Selling an expired product is very different than giving one away for free, or at least selling at a major discount.
        3. It is known python2 is EOL; anyone who uses it is depending on it knows what they're doing, usually for legacy purposes. Anyone who would take free expired food knows what they're doing (usually to feed farm animals).

Comment

Whatever happened to personal responsibility? Just like when buying milk or bread or whatever, you have to read the expiration date and make an appropriate decision.

Do I want to buy the bread that expires in 3 days or the bread that expires in 7 days?

Comment

Originally posted by jabl View Post

Confused by this as well. Is python2 in the main repo, that is, will be supported by Canonical with security updates for the life of 20.04, or is it demoted to the universe repo?
            As far as I know Python2 will not be getting support because it will be END OF LIFE on 2020-01-01 by the python devs.
            Do not expect any fixes or any kind of working security in 2020 with Python2.

Comment

Originally posted by castlefox View Post

As far as I know Python2 will not be getting support because it will be END OF LIFE on 2020-01-01 by the python devs.
              Do not expect any fixes or any kind of working security in 2020 with Python2.
              Yes, upstream has ended support for python2 (which is perfectly fine, as far as I'm concerned). But that doesn't mean that somebody else can't provide security updates on their own. Which is what I would expect Canonical to do, IF they put python2 in the main repo. If they're not committing to supporting it, that's fine too, but then it belongs in the universe repo and not in main.

IOW, what I'm asking is whether Canonical is committing to that support or not.

Comment

Working...
              X