Ubuntu 18.04.4 LTS Released With The Newest Hardware Enablement Stack

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu 18.04.4 LTS Released With The Newest Hardware Enablement Stack

Phoronix: Ubuntu 18.04.4 LTS Released With The Newest Hardware Enablement Stack

After a one week delay, Ubuntu 18.04.4 LTS is available today as the newest long-term support point release...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

So, it turns out, the freeze-for-30-seconds-unfreeze-for-2 loop I experience when uncompressing large 7z and zip files is not due to kernel 5.3 on Ubuntu 19.10, as now 18.04 got it and it works smoothly. I'm going to try the current 20.04 and, if that persists, it's bug report time.

Comment

Good idea to provide such an option. Most "stable" distros struggle to run on modern hardware. I've had debian refuse to install because it had no drivers for a NIC on a coffee lake system.

Comment

Originally posted by DoMiNeLa10 View Post
        Good idea to provide such an option. Most "stable" distros struggle to run on modern hardware. I've had debian refuse to install because it had no drivers for a NIC on a coffee lake system.
        Totally agree. My Skylake GPU had similar fate on CentOS 7.

Comment

Originally posted by DoMiNeLa10 View Post
          Very new hardware. Somewhat dated Linux kernel. What did you expect would happen?

Comment

Originally posted by zxy_thf View Post

Totally agree. My Skylake GPU had similar fate on CentOS 7.
            Very new hardware. Somewhat dated Linux kernel. What did you expect would happen?

Comment

Originally posted by NotMine999 View Post

Very new (released in 2015)
              Somewhat dated Linux (released in 2019 as CentOS 7.7.1908)
              Learn some primary school English before posting please.

More importantly, stop trolling by adding "kernel" after Linux and pretending you're making any sense, because we ARE ASKING FOR NEWER KERNEL. What makes you think you are the only person who understands the consequence of not using a new kernel?
              Last edited by zxy_thf; 12 February 2020, 11:56 PM.

Comment

Ubuntu devs did not yet backport the intel RC6 fix I think, so battery life for laptops from 2016 or later is not going to be great, I think.
                I have been building my own 5.3 kernels based on the HWE repository, but with this patch: https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/drm/i...14#note_366057
                5.5 is fixed upstream, but 5.4 is not fixed either.
                I posted this bug report in December but it has no attention. https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...x/+bug/1856653
                Last edited by timrichardson; 13 February 2020, 12:23 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by timrichardson View Post
                  Ubuntu devs did not yet backport the intel RC6 fix I think, so battery life for laptops from 2016 or later is not going to be great, I think.
                  I have been building my own 5.3 kernels based on the HWE repository, but with this patch: https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/drm/i...14#note_366057
                  5.5 is fixed upstream, but 5.4 is not fixed either.
                  I posted this bug report in December but it has no attention. https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...x/+bug/1856653
                  Thanks for that.
                  I had also noticed worse battery life with 19.10 but wasn't sure where it was coming from.

Comment

Originally posted by andrebrait View Post

Thanks for that.
                    I had also noticed worse battery life with 19.10 but wasn't sure where it was coming from.
                    Worse compared to what?

Comment

Working...
                    X