No announcement yet.

Ubuntu 18.04.4 LTS Released With The Newest Hardware Enablement Stack

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Peeps with HW problems should try the hwe-edge kernel first. That sits on 5.3 currently, which should work with pretty much everything, including Zen 2 stuff. Writing this comment from a B450+3900X from 18.04 + hwe-edge.

All this update does is bump the plain hwe kernel to 5.3 too. That will change with 20.10 though, hwe will stick to whatever 20.04 uses and hwe-edge bumps to whatever 20.10 ships with.
    Last edited by anarki2; 13 February 2020, 07:00 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Buntolo View Post

Worse compared to what?
      To 19.04

Comment

People with newer stuff should install Archlinux.

Comment

Originally posted by andrebrait View Post

To 19.04
          On a Thinkpad P50 (2016, 6th gen CPU), idle consumption with the RC6 bug is 9w vs 5W. That's pretty bad. On a T480, it not as bad, but it's still bad.

The original patch (the bad one) was a 'security' fix tand the magic three letters of CVE had it backported very fast. Unfortunately, the fixed patch hasn't had the same royal treatment.

The good news is that about 30 minutes after I posted my comment on this thread, a Canonical dev picked up my bug report (from December), proposed to backport the patch to 5.3 and started pinging the Intel developer to see if it was really such a small patch. Coincidence? You be the judge. The power of the press!
          5.4 needs a backport too, and it's important they fix that, since it's the launch kernel of 20.04

Comment

So, it turns out, the freeze-for-30-seconds-unfreeze-for-2 loop I experience when uncompressing large 7z and zip files is not due to kernel 5.3 on Ubuntu 19.10, as now 18.04 got it and it works smoothly. I'm going to try the current 20.04 and, if that persists, it's bug report time.
            Ubuntu uses single configuration that suits Desktops and Servers. Oh, wait.. this is bullshit as usual coming from Ubuntu.

Comment

so, should I take this as "amdgpu-pro won't install on any up-to-date ubuntu installs" again? AMD was slow to update the driver after ubuntu broke it by releasing 18.04.3. (I still care about OpenCL support on PCIe 2.0 boards, and amdgpu+rocm don't get that with Polaris cards on gen2.)

Comment

Originally posted by Volta View Post

Ubuntu uses single configuration that suits Desktops and Servers. Oh, wait.. this is bullshit as usual coming from Ubuntu.
                I changed the I/O scheduler and a number of things. I'm not sure it's about configuration in that sense.

And also, they don't do that.

Comment

And also, they don't do that.
                  What exactly?

Comment

Originally posted by NotMine999 View Post

Very new hardware. Somewhat dated Linux kernel. What did you expect would happen?
                    That's the problem with "stable" distros. You get a new work computer, and are expected to install some crappy distro like Ubuntu, and it turns out that the kernel is too old to handle it.

Comment

Originally posted by TemplarGR View Post
                      People with newer stuff should install Archlinux.
                      Arch is not for everyone.

Comment

Working...
                      X