Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Even With A $199 Laptop, Clear Linux Can Offer Superior Performance To Fedora Or Ubuntu

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MastaG View Post
    It surprises me that Fedora does worse in all gaming benchmarks compared to Ubuntu.
    I always thought that Fedora would ship with a more up to date kernel/Mesa and even gnome/mutter?
    In majority of cases, Fedora release synchronizes with GNOME release. Both new kernel and Mesa needed to go through a quality check before getting into a stable repository.
    About gaming benchmarks, an average difference of 5 frames above 30 Hz is hardly a big deal considering the hardening features implemented in Fedora. Additionally, frame rate is only a portion of an entire context.

Comment

Clear Linux might be fast but they are not friendly at all. Due to this article I was poking around the Clear Linux web site and tried to determine what version of the kernel and Mesa was currently shipping. Sadly the web site is one big suck! Maybe it is partly due to my knowledge of Fedora and the location of everything, but I can find all of that stuff relatively easily. Beyond all of that their approach to packaging seems to be a bit strained.

In the end I'm not convinced there is huge advantages for me with Clear Linux. by the way the kernel and Mesa version could be having a significant impact on APU performance which is good reason to want to know that info.

Comment

Does it have trash like SELinux and AppArmor disabled? They affect performance.

Comment

Originally posted by Volta View Post
          Did you not look at the recent benchmarks? The a̶f̶f̶e̶c̶t effect of SELinux is minimal.
          Last edited by Britoid; 06 February 2020, 10:53 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Britoid View Post

Did you not look at the recent benchmarks? The affect of SELinux is minimal.
            effect

Comment

Originally posted by Britoid View Post

Did you not look at the recent benchmarks? The a̶f̶f̶e̶c̶t effect of SELinux is minimal.
              Minimal? It's even 100% slower in schbench, 90% slower in stress-ng, 12% slower in Apache:

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Comment

Originally posted by EarthMind View Post
                Clear Linux keeps kicking but. It's strange that they don't yet turn it into a commercial project yet by offering support services for it. It could be useful in specific cases where the best performance possible is required
                [tinfoil]
                Maybe it is a commercial project to shrink server CPU demand for a while. 🤔
                [/tinfoil]

Comment

Originally posted by wizard69 View Post
                  tried to determine what version of the kernel and Mesa was currently shipping.

Contribute to clearlinux-pkgs/linux development by creating an account on GitHub.

Contribute to clearlinux-pkgs/mesa development by creating an account on GitHub.

Comment

Neither: https://github.com/clearlinux-pkgs/l...r/config#L7979

Comment

Minimal? It's even 100% slower in schbench, 90% slower in stress-ng, 12% slower in Apache:
                      This is why I generally trust the overly critical posts more, they end up being correct more often in the end, I find.
                      Last edited by AdamOne; 06 February 2020, 07:59 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X