Solus 4.1 Released With Application Changes, ESYNC Support For Linux Gaming

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Solus 4.1 Released With Application Changes, ESYNC Support For Linux Gaming

Phoronix: Solus 4.1 Released With Application Changes, ESYNC Support For Linux Gaming

It's already been over nine months since the release of Solus 4 while now this popular Linux desktop distribution has been succeeded by Solus 4.1..

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

That black Plasma theme looks pretty nice. I'm gonna have to give that a go sometime today.

Why do I have to discover a new theme right when I have some shit to do?

Comment

Isn't FSYNC?
      ESYNC runs in userspace, right?

Comment

Originally posted by kokoko3k View Post
        Isn't FSYNC?
        ESYNC runs in userspace, right?
        ESync Support

Gaming under Solus just got even simpler! Solus 4.1 now ships with raised file limits to enable ESync support, raising the file limits in our PAM package to Lutris’ suggested value, so you can spend less time configuring your system and more time playing games!
        Copy/paste ninja

Arch/Manjaro already do this. Others too.

Comment

144Hz Ikey hasn't been involved in the project for a long time now. The project is still going, and there a few more people involved.
          The focus shifted slightly, Budgie stays GTK and not switches QT, Clear Linux inspiration is not as direct (now some solutions are used, and not literally every little thing like it used to), and while previously Ikey was talking about every unrealistic idea, now there are no announcements and "It is ready when it is ready".
          There now is a Plasma release. Although there was a test ISO for a year or two, but the maintainer wasn't sure he can maintain it.
          Mate is superbly stable, while Gnome and and Budgie are great to use. Only problem with them is you have to listen to maintainer complaining about Gnome devs removing features
          The great thing about Solus team is that they really try to not remove features or break thing for users. Gnome removes desktop icons? They keep older Nautilius untill they find replacement. Cgroups v2 in new Systemd break a lot of packages (like Docker)? The will keep using legacy mode until issues are resolved, while Fedora devs just said that users need to add a kernel argument if they want to things to work.
          Solus is an up to date disro that doesn't break your shit.
          Problems: While the team is great about updating packages and keeping things thing working, to me cool things are coming too slowly. Budgie 11 is not yet there, replacement of Python package manager eopkg and software centre is nowhere to be seen. Also on the back end rewrite of Ferryd is urgently needed.
          Oh and while repos don't lack anything important, many commercial packages only provide .deb or .rpm which makes installation of those problematic.
          I still think the Solus is the best rolling distro for everyday use, but I wish some of the team could work on it full time, to work on those nic to have features. But all of them have their lives they don't want to change.

Comment

Originally posted by 144Hz
            And Ikey?

(It was so fun when he got funded to work on a Qt-based desktop, realized it would be a living hell and then fled the country)
            He's moved on to pastures greener and is no longer involved with Solus (per his own wishes).

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

Copy/paste ninja

Arch/Manjaro already do this. Others too.
              I'm pretty sure it's a systemd default that changed.

Comment

Guys please stop replying to that monitor refresh rate troll...
                His post is no more than another anti-Qt pro-GNOME propaganda. :l

Comment

Glad I left Solus early when I had a brief encounter with "somebody" while seeking tech support. Did not like the way I was being interacted with and said to hell with that distro.
                  Last edited by AdamOne; 25 January 2020, 02:54 PM.

Comment

I never really got the "rolling-release" with version number thing.

Comment

Working...
                    X