Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Canonical Gets Into Cloud Gaming & More With Anbox Cloud For Cloud-Based Android Apps/Gaming

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canonical Gets Into Cloud Gaming & More With Anbox Cloud For Cloud-Based Android Apps/Gaming

Phoronix: Canonical Gets Into Cloud Gaming & More With Anbox Cloud For Cloud-Based Android Apps/Gaming

Canonical this morning has announced Anbox Cloud for containerized workloads using Google's Android as the guest operating system...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

It's too bad you can't install Anbox directly from the Ubuntu Software Center.
    First you have to install the ashmem and binder kernel modules.
    Since Anbox is not a fully confined snap you have to install it from the command line using the --devmode option.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
      It's too bad you can't install Anbox directly from the Ubuntu Software Center.
      First you have to install the ashmem and binder kernel modules.
      Since Anbox is not a fully confined snap you have to install it from the command line using the --devmode option.
      well, it's supposed to be installed on servers, apparently.

Comment

Who would be interested in such a service?

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
          well, it's supposed to be installed on servers, apparently.
          Yes it is, because this article is about Anbox Cloud, but there is also an Anbox app meant for desktop and laptop computers.

Comment

Originally posted by ZeroPointEnergy View Post
            I don't know. Maybe developers who wish to do tests in the cloud or something. But I don't know, I have no idea at all.
            Or maybe to run heavy Android apps in the cloud and interact with them remotely on lighter devices.

Comment

There's an Android-only game I wanted to play on my iPad for a while, but had no real idea as to how to go about doing that in a clean manner. If I could somehow connect to Anbox cloud from iOS, then it'd seemingly work nicely for that.

Comment

I have Anbox installed on my Arch laptop.

Almost no Android games work at all in Anbox from my testing. They either crashes or opens a black window and I even have Anbox image with ARM translation and open GApps like play store. Oddly enough I was able to get some weird 3D bus simulator to work in it but other games like coin master, kick the buddy, and countless others don't work.

Anbox is alpha quality software still and pre-alpha when it comes to Android games.

If Canonical is planning to use actual Anbox in the cloud, this is going to be an epic fail without major improvements to the project.

Comment

Originally posted by Xaero_Vincent View Post
                  I have Anbox installed on my Arch laptop.

Almost no Android games work at all in Anbox from my testing. They either crashes or opens a black window and I even have Anbox image with ARM translation and open GApps like play store. Oddly enough I was able to get some weird 3D bus simulator to work in it but other games like coin master, kick the buddy, and countless others don't work.

Anbox is alpha quality software still and pre-alpha when it comes to Android games.

If Canonical is planning to use actual Anbox in the cloud, this is going to be an epic fail without major improvements to the project.
                  Exactly what I was thinking, how will they have an Anbox-powered cloud service when Anbox can't run games?

Comment

Developers. Instead of buying 100 different devices to make sure your app/game runs fine on all of them, you subscribe to this and start testing in the cloud. It supports game streaming as well, so even if you are a game developer you can still test your games using this cloud.

Comment

Working...
                    X