Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XanMod-ing Ubuntu To Perform Closer To Intel's Clear Linux

Phoronix: XanMod-ing Ubuntu To Perform Closer To Intel's Clear Linux

Earlier this month many Phoronix readers were interested in our fresh tests of the XanMod-patched Linux kernel for boosting the desktop and workstation performance compared to Ubuntu's default Linux kernel. Among many patches, XanMod does pull in some kernel patches from Intel's performance-optimized Clear Linux, so we figured it would be interesting to see how the XanMod'ed Ubuntu compares to Clear Linux performance.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Typo:

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    With Google's libgav1 AV1 encoder,
    It's a decoder...

Comment

These people are confused somehow. If they want to touch or even bypass Clear, they must compile everything with AVX2 as default and not only the kernel.

Comment

Next Step: Xanmoding Clear Linux
        Last edited by CochainComplex; 20 January 2020, 02:42 PM.

Comment

Since I have installed the Xanmod kernel in my ubuntu laptop, it is running much smoother. Notably faster are encoding video and Firefox. Application startup time also improved. Other than not being able to use cpupower with it because it is not available (in the repository) for this kernel, there is nothing to keep me from using it by default.

Comment

Thanks for running these tests, Michael, I was curious how these two stacked up against each other.

Originally posted by FPScholten View Post
            Since I have installed the Xanmod kernel in my ubuntu laptop, it is running much smoother. Notably faster are encoding video and Firefox. Application startup time also improved. Other than not being able to use cpupower with it because it is not available (in the repository) for this kernel, there is nothing to keep me from using it by default.
            For an alternative to cpupower, you can use cpufreq-set instead (available in the cpufrequtils package).

So instead of:
            Code:
            sudo cpupower frequency-set --governor performance
            It's:
            Code:
            sudo cpufreq-set -c 0 -g performance
            sudo cpufreq-set -c 1 -g performance
            sudo cpufreq-set -c 2 -g performance
            sudo cpufreq-set -c 3 -g performance
            And for the change to persist at startup, you can add the file /etc/default/cpufrequtils with the contents:
            Code:
            GOVERNOR="performance"
            I still prefer and use cpupower myself, but had the same dilemma as you a while back.

Comment

XanMod Kernel is great but the artwork reminds me of this http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_Z7UJQaksjG...au+Buffalo.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by atomsymbol

An interesting datapoint for comparison. This article ➜ Gentoo on Ryzen 3700X:
                What are your default flags?

Comment

It is getting faster, but is it also getting more efficient?

Comment

XanMod is nice, but Ubuntu can be made even more efficient and responsive and easier

Comment

Working...
                    X