Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Britoid
    replied
    Fedora/RH CoreOS is a rebuild of the former CoreOS that uses OSTree and is designed to handle container workloads, nothing else. It doesn't even ship with an interactive installer, as it's expected it will fetch it's install settings over the network.

Fedora Silverblue is basically Fedora Workstation but uses OSTree.

Fedora IoT also uses OSTree and is basically a Fedora minimal install.

Because of how OSTree works, it's actually possible for one of these to convert to the other (you could even go Fedora CoreOS -> RH CoreOS), but I don't see why you'd want to do that.

Fun fact - OSTree was born out of the GNOME Continuous project

Leave a comment:

• jntesteves
    replied
    Originally posted by phoronix_anon View Post
    Could someone highlight the use cases for CoreOS versus Silverblue?
    Fedora/CentOS/Red Hat CoreOS are OSes to run compute workloads on the cloud. By "compute workloads" I mean containerized services like webservers and web services, proxies and load balancers. It doesn't seem to me to be appropriate to run persistent storage services like DBs on these, but someone correct me if I'm wrong in this assumption.

Fedora Silverblue is a desktop OS.

Leave a comment:

• Anvil
    replied
    silverblue just uses RPM-OSTREE to install or update packages, Redhat did buy out a Linux company i think that was " ClearOS " or something like that, im sure thats just been renamed to FedoracoreOS .

Leave a comment:

• wizard69
    replied
    Originally posted by Anvil View Post
    wonder if they'll create another Fedora Project for this or just keep it in the same project as the rest? like

Fedora - Project 1
    Fedora CoreOS - Project 2
    you'd think they'd setup a new Project to Market CoreOS ?
    You would have ot know what you are marketing. For the life of me I can't see anything on Fedoras forums that makes me want to try CoreOS. There may be advantages but nothing I've seen so far even excites me.

Leave a comment:

• wizard69
    replied
    I've yet to figure this one out. Supposedly it will result in more reliable user apps but honeslty I don't see the point. As a user we still have to upgrade every six months or so to the next release, that would mean all new apps. I just don't see the point unless Fedora goes to a long term release that is good for a couple of years.

Leave a comment:

• phoronix_anon
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Anvil
    replied
    wonder if they'll create another Fedora Project for this or just keep it in the same project as the rest? like

Fedora - Project 1
    Fedora CoreOS - Project 2
    you'd think they'd setup a new Project to Market CoreOS ?
    Last edited by Anvil; 17 January 2020, 10:46 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Fedora CoreOS Now Deemed Production Ready For Containerized Workload Experience

Phoronix: Fedora CoreOS Now Deemed Production Ready For Containerized Workload Experience

Fedora CoreOS has graduated out of its preview state and is now considered ready for general use...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite
Working...
X