X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

come to the dark side...

Comment

Originally posted by muncrief View Post

No, but if someone wants it I'll take the time to put it online somehow. I've just never had a request for it, and don't have a github account or anything like that.
      Cool. Like I said, I'm not usually a blue theme user. Would you be willing to share a screenshot?

Comment

Originally posted by boxie View Post

As a proponent of dark modes - I find that where it is not an option is annoying

I will say though that it does take a little time to get used to it.
        It's not about getting used. It's just disorienting.

I've experimented with dark modes since they first existed in Windows 95 (think it was called 'High Contrast'?) up till today and I can only tolerate them for a few months, maximum. After that it's back to the standard light themes with white backgrounds and black text.

I don't understand the fascination with dark themes. 'Better on the eyes' does not apply here, if I was really concerned I will get a pair of spectacles with the anti-blue filters.

Comment

I'm using Arc darker. Another dark theme advocate.
          In Nautilus though I prefer the main panel (with the files) to be white for legibility while keeping the titlebar and folder locations/favourites (left bar) dark. Otherwise it's too much darkness. Arc does that, so no matter for concerns here.

Anyway, on the new Yaru theme, I actually like it. Maybe not to the point of using it but it definitely looks more professional that what we are accustomed to in Linux in general.
          To attract newcomers, it already looks more serious and refined than the amateurish/garage-hacked Adwaita theme it's based on (as showcased in Fedora).
          Could still work on improvements though. The small frames (around search, menu, back/forward...) in the titlebar should be gotten rid of. It would look cleaner and more appealing without these lines, and consistent with the controls.
          Last edited by Mez'; 15 January 2020, 02:32 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sonadow View Post

I've experimented with dark modes since they first existed in Windows 95 (think it was called 'High Contrast'?) up till today and I can only tolerate them for a few months, maximum. After that it's back to the standard light themes with white backgrounds and black text.

I don't understand the fascination with dark themes. 'Better on the eyes' does not apply here, if I was really concerned I will get a pair of spectacles with the anti-blue filters.
            High Contrast is not the same thing as a "dark theme". High contrast themes are a visual aid for those with some form of ophthalmic impairment (one of my extended family uses high contrast themes because otherwise she has serious trouble seeing things on a screen - even a large one) and are not designed for people with "normal" vision. I can't use one for more than a few tens of minutes at a time - usually enough to fix whatever was wrong on said family members PC.

But horses for courses. We are fortunate that currently not everyone is forced to use the same thing.

Comment

Originally posted by Templar82 View Post
              But I'm not sure about the grey folders and prefer this version, at least on the light theme. It really need the orange around the whole folder in my opinion
              You sick bastard!

Comment

Originally posted by Sonadow View Post

If I am being fair, not all dark themes are good, though there are some really good stand out ones (I for one enjoy Breeze Dark). One of the problems with a bunch of dark themes is that they forget you still need to differentiate between areas (HUR DUR Let's make it all the same dark color).

but I guess if they are not for you - they are just not for you. It seems like you have given them a red hot go and come out the other side without being impressed. For that I applaud you!

Maybe the mixed ubuntu dark/light mode mentioned in the article might be for you?

anyway - good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by muncrief View Post
                  So unless customization is destroyed by the mystifying move towards client side decoration I say more power to Ubuntu continuing their historic ugliness. But if client side decoration does become a reality, and users are forced to live with whatever painful color scheme others command, then I would actually move to Windows, or anything that didn't hurt me aesthetically. I simply can't stare at ugliness all day. I just can't.
                  This makes zero sense.

Comment

Love the Aubergine coloring. Down with the boring blue!

Comment

There is already GNOME's own Adwaita theme that is pretty okay.
                      Personally I use Arc Theme which is the nicest theme, it is nicer than both Adwaita, Yaru and everything else.

Comment

Working...
                      X