Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A New Desktop Theme Is Coming For Ubuntu 20.04 LTS

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • A New Desktop Theme Is Coming For Ubuntu 20.04 LTS

    Phoronix: Canonical Is Working On A New Desktop Theme For Ubuntu 20.04 LTS

    With Ubuntu 20.04 to see installation on many desktops (and servers) given its Long-Term Support status, Canonical's developers have begun working on a successor to the Yaru theme for this Linux distribution release due out in April...

    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...-LTS-New-Theme

  • #2
    The dark theme is more beautiful. Just compare the folders between the dark and the white theme.

    Comment


    • #3
      I have always loved Ubuntu's default theme, and I think the purple buttons/sliders match the theme far better than the blue and green did.

      But I'm not sure about the grey folders and prefer this version, at least on the light theme. It really need the orange around the whole folder in my opinion



      Comment


      • #4
        That folder icon and other elements looks so... ugh/eww? Maybe it's just a taste thing, I get a dated or unprofessional vibe from it(and I don't mean a lack of flat colours or extensive use of blurs as modern/professional)

        Comment


        • #5
          Maybe it's because I'm too accustomed to working with hard copies, but I cannot stand dark themes. White on black messes with my perception and expectations.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Sonadow View Post
            Maybe it's because I'm too accustomed to working with hard copies, but I cannot stand dark themes. White on black messes with my perception and expectations.
            As a proponent of dark modes - I find that where it is not an option is annoying

            I will say though that it does take a little time to get used to it.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Templar82 View Post
              I have always loved Ubuntu's default theme, and I think the purple buttons/sliders match the theme far better than the blue and green did.

              But I'm not sure about the grey folders and prefer this version, at least on the light theme. It really need the orange around the whole folder in my opinion


              In my opinion the gray folders look easier on the eyes.

              Comment


              • #8
                Oh wow, one of the major problems that kept me away from Linux in the beginning was its supreme ugliness.

                I remember the first time I saw Ubuntu, I just couldn't believe it. The dirty orange combined with dirty brown literally hurt not only my eyes, but my soul. I couldn't conceive of how anyone would make those colors the default for anything. However over the years I learned that for some reason many in the Linux community think ugly is beautiful. And the best evidence of that today is the prevalence of "dark themes."

                But I soon learned that with a lot of work Linux could be made as beautiful as anything else. So for almost a decade I've developed my own stunningly beautiful theme that has blue everywhere, without a hint of dirty anything to be found. It's primarily designed for XFCE, but since XFCE mostly moved to GTK3 my theme has evolved to support it, and therefore Gnome as well.

                So unless customization is destroyed by the mystifying move towards client side decoration I say more power to Ubuntu continuing their historic ugliness. But if client side decoration does become a reality, and users are forced to live with whatever painful color scheme others command, then I would actually move to Windows, or anything that didn't hurt me aesthetically. I simply can't stare at ugliness all day. I just can't.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by muncrief View Post
                  Oh wow, one of the major problems that kept me away from Linux in the beginning was its supreme ugliness.

                  I remember the first time I saw Ubuntu, I just couldn't believe it. The dirty orange combined with dirty brown literally hurt not only my eyes, but my soul. I couldn't conceive of how anyone would make those colors the default for anything. However over the years I learned that for some reason many in the Linux community think ugly is beautiful. And the best evidence of that today is the prevalence of "dark themes."

                  But I soon learned that with a lot of work Linux could be made as beautiful as anything else. So for almost a decade I've developed my own stunningly beautiful theme that has blue everywhere, without a hint of dirty anything to be found. It's primarily designed for XFCE, but since XFCE mostly moved to GTK3 my theme has evolved to support it, and therefore Gnome as well.

                  So unless customization is destroyed by the mystifying move towards client side decoration I say more power to Ubuntu continuing their historic ugliness. But if client side decoration does become a reality, and users are forced to live with whatever painful color scheme others command, then I would actually move to Windows, or anything that didn't hurt me aesthetically. I simply can't stare at ugliness all day. I just can't.
                  Is this theme public?

                  A lot of people have problems with blue lights (me among them) so I try very hard to avoid "blue" themes where possible. It was one of the reasons why I set Windows 98/2000 to "Marine" (a funny green colour) and XP to "Silver". In Linux I've always preferred grey themes where possible, although I now favour charcoal grey rather than the lighter ones I used to.

                  On the Ubuntu theme front; I'm a little torn. Neither are bad, per se, but equally I won't go out of my way to use either of them.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Paradigm Shifter View Post

                    Is this theme public?

                    A lot of people have problems with blue lights (me among them) so I try very hard to avoid "blue" themes where possible. It was one of the reasons why I set Windows 98/2000 to "Marine" (a funny green colour) and XP to "Silver". In Linux I've always preferred grey themes where possible, although I now favour charcoal grey rather than the lighter ones I used to.

                    On the Ubuntu theme front; I'm a little torn. Neither are bad, per se, but equally I won't go out of my way to use either of them.
                    No, but if someone wants it I'll take the time to put it online somehow. I've just never had a request for it, and don't have a github account or anything like that.

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X