X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• starshipeleven
    replied
    Originally posted by willbprog177 View Post
    Is it me, or is openmandriva.org still not accessible? Everything else works fine for me, but openmandriva.org gets stuck trying to do TLS handshaking...
    accessible for me (Europe)

Leave a comment:

• starshipeleven
    replied
    Originally posted by Boswell View Post
    It's actually easy to circumvent the GPL
    your example is garbage, GPL license of the kernel does not do anything about userspace.

Leave a comment:

• aht0
    replied
    Openmandriva.org works for me

Leave a comment:

• willbprog177
    replied
    Is it me, or is openmandriva.org still not accessible? Everything else works fine for me, but openmandriva.org gets stuck trying to do TLS handshaking...

Leave a comment:

• szymon_g
    replied
    good that zypper is being adopted outside of suse ecosystem. shame poldek is dead.

zypper > dnf > yum > apt

Leave a comment:

• slacka
    replied
    Originally posted by berolinux View Post
    The GPL is what guarantees...
    Don't feed the trolls. This is not about licensing.

The primary motivation for building with clang is to improve code quality. In the process of cleaning up the kernel's code base to allow it to build on clang, hundreds of bugs and poor coding practices(like removing slow/error prone VLA's) had to be fixed. This is a win for the kernel.

Now that Clang can build the kernel, it can also benefit from Clang's additional warnings and Clang's Static Analyzer (scan-build).
    Last edited by slacka; 10 January 2020, 04:17 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Boswell
    replied
    Originally posted by berolinux View Post

The GPL is what guarantees true freedom by preventing the worst kinds of "embrace and extend" strategies.
    The best thing about clang when compared to gcc is its far more readable code base, not its license.
    It's actually easy to circumvent the GPL all you have to do is make the services around the software closed source while keeping the GPL in the kernel.
    Just look at Google's Android the kernel is GPL while the the majority of software is closed source(e.g The play store)

Leave a comment:

• berolinux
    replied
    Originally posted by Boswell View Post
    It's good we now have the option to build the Linux kernel with Clang. Soon we'll be free from the tyranny of the GPL and get true freedom.
    The GPL is what guarantees true freedom by preventing the worst kinds of "embrace and extend" strategies.
    The best thing about clang when compared to gcc is its far more readable code base, not its license.

Leave a comment:

• Boswell
    replied
    It's good we now have the option to build the Linux kernel with Clang. Soon we'll be free from the tyranny of the GPL and get true freedom.

Leave a comment:

• OpenMandriva Lx 4.1 Beta Adds Clang-Built Kernel Option, Experimental Zypper

Phoronix: OpenMandriva Lx 4.1 Beta Adds Clang-Built Kernel Option, Experimental Zypper

In time for some weekend testing is the beta release of OpenMandriva Lx 4.1...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite
Working...
X