Manjaro 19.0 Preview Images For KDE + GNOME Available For Testing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ThanosApostolou View Post
    I believe arch is the most sane distribution. The only drawback is that it breaks kinda easily and it doesn't support partial updates
    I take it you don't see the inherent contradiction in these 2 statements.

Comment

Originally posted by Spooktra View Post

I take it you don't see the inherent contradiction in these 2 statements.
      No contradiction. That's how things are done in all rolling distributions that I know. Debian unstable, fedora rawhide and opensuse tumbleweed break easily too and they don't let you update partially packages but you have to update everything (or even if they let you, that's a bad design because you'll end up with completely broken dependencies). So, that's a sane behavior. The only repositories with different behavior are the Fedora Modular repositories, but from my experience I've found that they are a complete mess and I don't think that anyone is using them seriously (and of course flatpaks and snaps which have completely different logic than regular repositories).

In my opinion, arch is more sane in other aspects as flexibility for custom packages and configurability (just try to use apparmor in Fedora or selinux in Ubuntu). Also in update policy and minimization of patches (see how often things break in Ubuntu and OpenSuse with outdated software and custom patches by each maintainer).

Comment

No contradiction. That's how things are done in all rolling distributions that I know. Debian unstable, fedora rawhide and opensuse tumbleweed break easily too and they don't let you update partially packages but you have to update everything (or even if they let you, that's a bad design because you'll end up with completely broken dependencies). So, that's a sane behavior. The only repositories with different behavior are the Fedora Modular repositories, but from my experience I've found that they are a complete mess and I don't think that anyone is using them seriously (and of course flatpaks and snaps which have completely different logic than regular repositories).

In my opinion, arch is more sane in other aspects as flexibility for custom packages and configurability (just try to use apparmor in Fedora or selinux in Ubuntu). Also in update policy and minimization of patches (see how often things break in Ubuntu and OpenSuse with outdated software and custom patches by each maintainer).
        I don't know how it works on other rolling distributions, I have been using Tumbleweed for 3 years without problems.
        In Tumbleweed "you can't" have as you say partial updates (although it is not true, but it is not recommended) because it would be easier to break the system. Tumbleweed works on the snapshots and tests the snapshots that provide all the updates, if the snapshot fails, you can easily go back to the previous snapshot, effectively canceling the update. You don't know what you're saying, or I haven't understood the meaning of what you mean. If you do not want to update the kernel for example, simply lock it and it will not be updated. I don't think you've used Tumbleweed for a while ... or have used it with the Ubuntu mentality.

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie68 View Post

I don't know how it works on other rolling distributions, I have been using Tumbleweed for 3 years without problems.
          In Tumbleweed "you can't" have as you say partial updates (although it is not true, but it is not recommended) because it would be easier to break the system. Tumbleweed works on the snapshots and tests the snapshots that provide all the updates, if the snapshot fails, you can easily go back to the previous snapshot, effectively canceling the update. You don't know what you're saying, or I haven't understood the meaning of what you mean. If you do not want to update the kernel for example, simply lock it and it will not be updated. I don't think you've used Tumbleweed for a while ... or have used it with the Ubuntu mentality.
          All these things can be done with arch too, it's just my belief that arch is a more sane distribution and the packaging quality is superior. Tumbleweed is pretty good, I don't have something against it, but for example in kate (kde's text editor) you cannot edit root files because opensuse maintainer has disabled it with a patch due to their crazy security "standards" (works fine in every other distribution). The crazy patching is what makes opensuse weird and not a sane distribution in my eyes (and all these -branding packages and the really limited repositories with many packages outdated/umaintained even in Tumbleweed with Packman repos).

Anyway, I just stated an opinion for a guy who asked, we are way out of topic here so let's agree that we disagree and stop this discussion

Comment

All these things can be done with arch too, it's just my belief that arch is a more sane distribution and the packaging quality is superior. Tumbleweed is pretty good, I don't have something against it, but for example in kate (kde's text editor) you cannot edit root files because opensuse maintainer has disabled it with a patch due to their crazy security "standards" (works fine in every other distribution). The crazy patching is what makes opensuse weird and not a sane distribution in my eyes (and all these -branding packages and the really limited repositories with many packages outdated/umaintained even in Tumbleweed with Packman repos).

Anyway, I just stated an opinion for a guy who asked, we are way out of topic here so let's agree that we disagree and stop this discussion
            My comment was related to this sentence
            Debian unstable, fedora rawhide and opensuse tumbleweed break easily too and they don't let you update partially packages but you have to update everything
            your talk about Kate and other things is just your preference and I don't discuss it.

Comment

Well, thank you all for your replies. It was indeed off-topic so plz consider my question has been amply answered.

Comment

Working...
              X