Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fedora Project Leader Envisions The Project Becoming An "Operating System Factory"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fedora Project Leader Envisions The Project Becoming An "Operating System Factory"

Phoronix: Fedora Project Leader Envisions The Project Becoming An "Operating System Factory"

Fedora Project Leader Matthew Miller has shared his vision for Fedora over the next decade and is encouraging discussions about the direction of this Red Hat sponsored Linux distribution over the next five to ten years...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Next up. 1,000 spins so that no one uses the same one. I'm on Fedora SilverYellow because it has a different default font lol.

Comment

Something I'd like Fedora to do over anything else is.

Make Fedora cool

Fedora is an awesome distro whose communities upstream and open source ethos should put other distros to shame, but most users don't see this work until it trickles down into other distros, who unfortunately too often muddle with proprietary software.

I understand Fedora is targetted at developers such as myself, but in order for that to remain sustainable it needs to attract non-developers too, as they are future developers.

Comment

In my experience, the Arch documentation wiki is an invaluable resource, even for non-Arch users. If the FPL can build/reproduce that type of community to improve and maintain documentation that would be a good thing for Fedora (and even better yet if Arch and Fedora can collaborate to reduce the duplicated documentation work).

Comment

What linux needs in the next years is to eradicate distros.

Comment

Originally posted by 89c51 View Post
            What linux needs in the next years is to eradicate distros.
            And pray tell us Mr. Revolutionary Wisdom, what you'd be doing with just Linux kernel? Fedora is a distro too, there is no distinct Linux operating system as such.

Fedora could use what OpenSUSE already has (Kiwi). Just use it for creating different spins of Fedora. No need to start wasting dev-resources developing their own custom implementation.

Comment

Originally posted by CommunityMember View Post
              In my experience, the Arch documentation wiki is an invaluable resource, even for non-Arch users. If the FPL can build/reproduce that type of community to improve and maintain documentation that would be a good thing for Fedora (and even better yet if Arch and Fedora can collaborate to reduce the duplicated documentation work).
              The Arch wiki is top notch. I have also heard good things about the Gentoo documentation. Not a current Fedora user, but I want my Linux boot to be a development environment, and work some in the RHEL server space stuff at work. I think it would be a good fit.

Comment

I havent touched Fedora or any of its derivatives in years.... the RPM package format left such a horrible taste. I lost many evenings an nights of sleep recovering from RPM hell... so has that changed?

I find the Ubuntu apt / *.deb system is very stable and moderately hard to break (it can be broken... but in my experiences DEB hell is harder to get to than RPM hell...)

Is RPM dependency resolution still an unmitigated disaster? Is there a KDE version of fedora (i.e. like Kubuntu)?

Comment

Originally posted by zexelon View Post
                  I havent touched Fedora or any of its derivatives in years.... the RPM package format left such a horrible taste. I lost many evenings an nights of sleep recovering from RPM hell... so has that changed?

I find the Ubuntu apt / *.deb system is very stable and moderately hard to break (it can be broken... but in my experiences DEB hell is harder to get to than RPM hell...)

Is RPM dependency resolution still an unmitigated disaster? Is there a KDE version of fedora (i.e. like Kubuntu)?
                  IMHO dep and rpm are both an hell.
                  gentoo (because of use flags) is the way to go and the only packaging system i really enjoy.

i'm on arch btw (sorry)

Comment

Originally posted by zexelon View Post
                    Is there a KDE version of fedora (i.e. like Kubuntu)?
                    Yes, Fedora KDE. It's been my daily driver for a few years now

Comment

Working...
                    X