No announcement yet.

Fedora 32 Looking At Turning Up SquashFS Compression For Smaller Install Media

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fedora 32 Looking At Turning Up SquashFS Compression For Smaller Install Media

Phoronix: Fedora 32 Looking At Turning Up SquashFS Compression For Smaller Install Media

While Fedora 32 is already making it so CD / DVD install issues shouldn't block releases given most users are doing USB-based installations for the past number of years, Fedora is still trying to decrease the amount of space the install media takes up regardless of CD/DVD/USB media...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

It would be freaking cool if Linux installers were captured images like windows install.wim files. That way one could easily turn a modified OS into an install image.

Comment

Originally posted by garegin View Post
      It would be freaking cool if Linux installers were captured images like windows install.wim files. That way one could easily turn a modified OS into an install image.
      some people do just that. core os from squashfs image, rest as an overlay via overlayfs or equivalent solution.

Comment

Originally posted by garegin View Post
        If I correctly understood what you meant (which I'm not sure of ) you could easily make custom install (or live) image with already existing and working tools.

Fedora (and CentOS) provides toold around kickstart which is an easy way to capture an installation and use it as a template to automate other identical installations. You can also craft template manually or, if needed, automate the creation of it.

I use that to create custom Fedora live images with the tools I need for specific purposes

Comment

How about start releasing ZIP bundles that are actually not a PITA to use? Like unzip, cp, and that's it? Like any sane distro? Why on Earth do I have to mess with their stupid Fedora Media Writer cr@p? EFI is an industry standard, not Voodoo magic.

Comment

Originally posted by anarki2 View Post
            How about start releasing ZIP bundles that are actually not a PITA to use? Like unzip, cp, and that's it? Like any sane distro? Why on Earth do I have to mess with their stupid Fedora Media Writer cr@p? EFI is an industry standard, not Voodoo magic.
            for doing what? You don't need Media Writer at all for making an USB installer / Live. You just need dd.

Comment

How exactly would that work? EFI boot requires modifying structures outside the file system, while zip and other archivers only do their thing inside a file system (assuming you don't redirect the output to a device file). You'd need a set of other tools like fdisk and mkfs.vfat.

Besides, dd is simpler than any of the other tools. It just clones bytes from source to target file.

Comment

How about start releasing ZIP bundles that are actually not a PITA to use? Like unzip, cp, and that's it? Like any sane distro? Why on Earth do I have to mess with their stupid Fedora Media Writer cr@p?
                you mean like dd? use dd, you have my permission
                EFI is an industry standard, not Voodoo magic.
                so you are forbidding fedora to support non-efi systems?

Comment

Working...
                X