Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Clear Linux Saw New Features, New Desktop Installer + Increased Adoption In 2019

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clear Linux Saw New Features, New Desktop Installer + Increased Adoption In 2019

Phoronix: Clear Linux Saw New Features, New Desktop Installer + Increased Adoption In 2019

In addition to Clear Linux seeing more performance optimizations in 2019 (more so than Fedora and Ubuntu during the year), it also benefited from a new desktop installer, new help forums, and more of Intel's partners talking about their current or planned usage of Clear Linux...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Intel is doing a amazing job with Clear Linux, although I can't help but complain about the bloated bundle system and lack of packages.

In summary, when you install a bundle your system will be equipped with a bunch of additional packages that they find useful. Most of the time those additional packages just bloats the system and not to mention situations where you just need one package and in order to get it you need to install a full scaled bundle, it's horrible. You can't cherry pick packages either and there is no real repository system with backwards compatibility since this disto is using the rolling release model, it's not good at all for servers.

I've seen a lot of enterprise users complain about this and yet Intel is blinded to see the issues that this will bring down the road. Clear Linux is NOT suitable for companies/business/LTS systems which in my opinion renders the usability down to absolute minimum unless you only want to use it as a proxy or hypervisor.

Comment

The lack of codec support is the primary reason why I stick to KDE Neon/Kubuntu. It's just not a usable desktop OS for me.

I'm not really a fan of bundles, but the speed of the OS is very nice.

I'm still using in on a few systems.

Comment

Originally posted by jetwalsh
        Clear Linux uses telemetry you cannot turn off. Hard pass.
        It can be toggled at install time.... (and presumably after too, but i haven't looked into that with never having the need).
        Michael Larabel
        https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Rose View Post
          The lack of codec support is the primary reason why I stick to KDE Neon/Kubuntu. It's just not a usable desktop OS for me.

I'm not really a fan of bundles, but the speed of the OS is very nice.

I'm still using in on a few systems.
          Codecs work fine on Clear if you compile one package manually (which is very, very easy to do), but only in Firefox. I agree though that the bundle system sucks.

Comment

You can turn it off in the install wizard. Funny that this was your first post on this forum and it already contained misinformation. Troll much?

Comment

Vistaus, can you REALLY turn it off? Or are you just regurgitating what Intel said? Perhaps, you should get to know me and my expertise before commenting on how many times I have posted in a forum.
              Maybe you should collect evidence that you can't switch it off before going to the trouble of making an account and posting away?

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

It can be toggled at install time.... (and presumably after too, but i haven't looked into that with never having the need).
                Possible https://docs.01.org/clearlinux/lates....html#examples

sudo telemctl stop
                sudo telemctl opt-out

Comment

You might want to read this

Comment

Vistaus, can you REALLY turn it off? Or are you just regurgitating what Intel said? Perhaps, you should get to know me and my expertise before commenting on how many times I have posted in a forum.

Any OS that has telemetry turned on by default should be untrusted.
                    AFAIK you have to decide during installation if I remember correctly. You cannot procede without saying yes or no. This cannot be considered as "default on".

Comment

Working...
                    X