Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gentoo-Based Calculate Linux 20 Released To Ring In The New Year, Free Of 32-Bit Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gentoo-Based Calculate Linux 20 Released To Ring In The New Year, Free Of 32-Bit Support

Phoronix: Gentoo-Based Calculate Linux 20 Released To Ring In The New Year, Free Of 32-Bit Support

One of the few still maintained Linux distributions derived from Gentoo is Calculate Linux, which saw a new release today in preparing for the new year...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

"Calculate Linux 20 is based upon newer Gentoo sources"

it's not the newser 'sources' it's based on, it's the distribution profile. while recompiled with newer gcc, the newer profile merely introduces different set of defaults and a different style of multilib layout.

Comment

Calculate is one of those Linux gems that most people don't know about, I like it a lot, I use it for some older laptops that are kind of long in the tooth and it works like a charm.

I've never tried is as my main desktop, because I need a stable, reliable distro and unfortunately the only distro that fits that bill is the Ubuntu LTS releases, every other distro I have ever tried, including Fedora, OpenSuse (both Tumbleweed and Leap), all the Arch based distros (including Manjaro, which I like a lot), all seen to just look for excuses to crap out, usually when I'm in the tightest time constraint and have the least time to try and diagnose or fix a computer problem.

It's a shame that it seems only Ubuntu, with their LTS releases can get the Linux desktop right. Buit if you want a nice toy to play around with for a backup or older system, Calculate is nice.

Comment

Originally posted by Spooktra View Post
        Calculate is one of those Linux gems that most people don't know about, I like it a lot, I use it for some older laptops that are kind of long in the tooth and it works like a charm.

I've never tried is as my main desktop, because I need a stable, reliable distro and unfortunately the only distro that fits that bill is the Ubuntu LTS releases, every other distro I have ever tried, including Fedora, OpenSuse (both Tumbleweed and Leap), all the Arch based distros (including Manjaro, which I like a lot), all seen to just look for excuses to crap out, usually when I'm in the tightest time constraint and have the least time to try and diagnose or fix a computer problem.

It's a shame that it seems only Ubuntu, with their LTS releases can get the Linux desktop right. Buit if you want a nice toy to play around with for a backup or older system, Calculate is nice.
        Debian Stable? Red Hat Enterprise? CentOS?

Comment

Funtoo, Sabayon and Redcore are other Gentoo based distros. I've used them in the past they are pretty good.

Comment

Originally posted by atomsymbol
            Dropping 32-bit support is in most cases based on avoiding thinking about when 32-bit is and isn't sufficient to run modern applications.

Some garbage-collected languages are performing pointer compression because at least half of the bits in all 64-bit pointers have the same value when running a sizeable percentage of modern applications.
            Being Gentoo based, you just have to add ABI_X86="64 32" to /etc/portage/make.conf and then emerge -DNu world... Easy...

Comment

Originally posted by k1e0x View Post
              Funtoo, Sabayon and Redcore are other Gentoo based distros. I've used them in the past they are pretty good.
              Yup and out Gentoo, Calculate, Funtoo, Sabayon and Redcore, Redcore is the only one with a Live environment that can boot my latest laptop. I wouldn't have been able to get my Gentoo setup on it without Redcore. Very impressed with that one.

EDIT: Trying to get this laptop to get fully booted is what introduced me to Redcore. The fact that they have a kernel and bootloader properly configured with all the support many modern UEFI laptops need to boot without legacy mode is what made it work, where-as all the others failed either at the bootloader or the kernel load. Even considering non-Gentoo based distro's, even the latest Fedora failed to boot, OpenSuSe booted to the desktop but had no mouse or keyboard, Ubuntu booted to the desktop but had no wifi or bluetooth. Redcore is the only one that booted flawlessly.
              Last edited by duby229; 27 December 2019, 01:37 PM.

Comment

Redcore is an interesting thing. It's LXqt that I like a lot with OpenRC. It's very light and fast and I think they made a lot of good choices..

And no Linux *desktop* disto is stable. If you want stable use macOS. (and even that..)

I like Linux too but.. software development these days is really... move fast and break things.
                Last edited by k1e0x; 27 December 2019, 02:20 PM.

Comment

I more or less understand your issues with stable Linux releases but I must point out that Fedoras goals aren’t exactly stability, there are other Redhat based distros for that.

that being said I run Fedora to have a greater chance of running up to date software. Even on Fedora though some apps don’t get the same attention. In any event I’m wondering how many other Redhat derived OS’s you have tried?

Originally posted by Spooktra View Post

Comment

Originally posted by k1e0x View Post

And no Linux *desktop* disto is stable. If you want stable use macOS. (and even that..)

I like Linux too but.. software development these days is really... move fast and break things.
                    This is true and something the open source community needs to address if they ever want to be taken seriously. I know a lot of people here don’t like Apple and their high prices but they do a lot of things right and also screw a lot up for developers.

one thing they do right is guiding (herding developers maybe) developers to support the latest software features and avoid using deprecated API’s. Then they regularly delete those old APIs. One major example is the move away from 32 bit support in iOS and now MacOS.

keeping everybody on the same page has huge Advantages when it comes to software quality and stability. In comparison the average Linux distro is a massive collection of completely incompatible software often in both 64 bit and 32 bit versions. Gnome based systems often support KDE and sometimes even other efforts, which leads to highly bloated installations.

This mess that is Linux is why I often suggest that distros need to leave the 32 bit world completely behind. It would be a start to a more well managed software environment. Yes I know that means old crap will not work but you know what I don’t care - I’d rather see a move to reliability and stability.

Comment

Working...
                    X