Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gentoo-Based Calculate Linux 20 Released To Ring In The New Year, Free Of 32-Bit Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AdamOne View Post
    Im one of the few people that used Calculate Linux and over a year ago I checked if updates have become faster, and, even for using binaries they where *nightmarish* taking usually 5 hours to complete.
    This is complete horsecrap. I just upgraded a 2-year-old Calculate install on a sandy bridge laptop a week ago, and got ~10MB/sec from the mirrors. An emerge -G took less than 15 minutes to upgrade over 1100 packages. Even Athlon64's upgrade from quickpkg (which is what emerge -G does) is maybe 30 minutes. You know it installs 5 binaries simultaneously, right?

Comment

Originally posted by k1e0x View Post

.. but upgrades are really troublesome sometimes due to the use flags and the system complexity.
      Another meaningless filler comment just to raise post count on Phoronix. You have to manually enable useflags in calculate using the /etc/portage/package.use/custom.cld file. it's empty by default.
      I'm starting to wonder if I'm the only person posting that actually tried this distro before vomiting all over the comments.
      Last edited by jason.oliveira; 12-27-2019, 09:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jason.oliveira View Post

This is complete horsecrap. I just upgraded a 2-year-old Calculate install on a sandy bridge laptop a week ago, and got ~10MB/sec from the mirrors. An emerge -G took less than 15 minutes to upgrade over 1100 packages. Even Athlon64's upgrade from quickpkg (which is what emerge -G does) is maybe 30 minutes. You know it installs 5 binaries simultaneously, right?
        Dude, it took 5 hours. Im not talking a week ago, Im talking 3-4 years ago. And that was with binaries enabled. I believe I saw a forum thread with the same complaint but Im unable to find it again.

Comment

I'm enjoying reading the comments of a bunch of folks who do not know how to use gentoo or calculate complain about how hard it is to use gentoo or calculate. Seems that if you aren't willing to take the time to learn, you are probably not the target audience.

No system-D is a huge positive in calculate's favor.

Comment

Originally posted by AdamOne View Post

Dude, it took 5 hours. Im not talking a week ago, Im talking 3-4 years ago.
            Your last post said you tried it a year ago. Do you see why I think you're lying?

Comment

Working...
            X