Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gentoo-Based Calculate Linux 20 Released To Ring In The New Year, Free Of 32-Bit Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by wizard69 View Post

This is true and something the open source community needs to address if they ever want to be taken seriously. I know a lot of people here don’t like Apple and their high prices but they do a lot of things right and also screw a lot up for developers.

one thing they do right is guiding (herding developers maybe) developers to support the latest software features and avoid using deprecated API’s. Then they regularly delete those old APIs. One major example is the move away from 32 bit support in iOS and now MacOS.

keeping everybody on the same page has huge Advantages when it comes to software quality and stability. In comparison the average Linux distro is a massive collection of completely incompatible software often in both 64 bit and 32 bit versions. Gnome based systems often support KDE and sometimes even other efforts, which leads to highly bloated installations.

This mess that is Linux is why I often suggest that distros need to leave the 32 bit world completely behind. It would be a start to a more well managed software environment. Yes I know that means old crap will not work but you know what I don’t care - I’d rather see a move to reliability and stability.
    it's so strange you think that breaking things equates to higher reliability and stability... leave the 32bit world behind? you mean leave gaming behind... leave POS cashier's behind... leave business management behind... etc, etc...

Comment

I more or less understand your issues with stable Linux releases but I must point out that Fedoras goals aren’t exactly stability, there are other Redhat based distros for that.

that being said I run Fedora to have a greater chance of running up to date software. Even on Fedora though some apps don’t get the same attention. In any event I’m wondering how many other Redhat derived OS’s you have tried?
      In the old days, before Fedora, there were a bunch of RedHat remasters, but in recent years I tried Oracle Linux, Scientific Linux, CentOS, every Fedora spin they have available.

I can't stand any Fedora variant, every single one has had issues with audio crackling, popping or hissing, no matter what I do and on various motherboards, even worse it doesn't seem to be LSB compliant, which is hysterical when you consider that LSB pretty much started with Red Hat; CentOS and Oracle Linux are supposed to be binary compatible with Red Hat and yet I find more than a handful of software that refuse to work on CentOS and Oracle.

Speaking of software that doesn't work, try getting Intel's QSV (not VAAPI) working on any distro not named Ubuntu (Manjaro is the only exception); Davinci Resolve will only work on Ubuntu, even on other distros where it will supposedly install it still won't run.

Comment

Originally posted by k1e0x View Post
        And no Linux *desktop* disto is stable. If you want stable use macOS. (and even that..)
        Ubuntu LTS is very stable.

Comment

This is true and something the open source community needs to address if they ever want to be taken seriously. I know a lot of people here don’t like Apple and their high prices but they do a lot of things right and also screw a lot up for developers.

one thing they do right is guiding (herding developers maybe) developers to support the latest software features and avoid using deprecated API’s. Then they regularly delete those old APIs. One major example is the move away from 32 bit support in iOS and now MacOS.

keeping everybody on the same page has huge Advantages when it comes to software quality and stability.
          Do you like using backwards logic often?

Comment

keeping everybody on the same page has huge Advantages when it comes to software quality and stability. In comparison the average Linux distro is a massive collection of completely incompatible software often in both 64 bit and 32 bit versions. Gnome based systems often support KDE and sometimes even other efforts, which leads to highly bloated installations.

This mess that is Linux is why I often suggest that distros need to leave the 32 bit world completely behind. It would be a start to a more well managed software environment. Yes I know that means old crap will not work but you know what I don’t care - I’d rather see a move to reliability and stability.
            agreed. Apple really needs to lower their hardware prices. Maybe they don't feel they have any competition or that a smaller number of people paying more is better.. idk making other OS's better will put pressure on them though.

Comment

Im one of the few people that used Calculate Linux and over a year ago I checked if updates have become faster, and, even for using binaries they where *nightmarish* taking usually 5 hours to complete.

I did Gentoo for a good while, and thought Id give Funtoo a shot, but Tim Robbins talked me right out of it. He went at me when I made some off-hand comment and I really have no need to do all that extra work, or interest with dramatic moments so I moved on.

Comment

Originally posted by AdamOne View Post
                Im one of the few people that used Calculate Linux and over a year ago I checked if updates have become faster, and, even for using binaries they where *nightmarish* taking usually 5 hours to complete.

I did Gentoo for a good while, and thought Id give Funtoo a shot, but Tim Robbins talked me right out of it. He went at me when I made some off-hand comment and I really have no need to do all that extra work, or interest with dramatic moments so I moved on.
                I do use Gentoo some and I like the flexibility of it.. but upgrades are really troublesome sometimes due to the use flags and the system complexity. One thing that helps is separating your user config from what portage adds to auto resolve.. and every once in a while removing portage auto added use flags.. the other is ZFS snapshots taken before EVERY and any portage tree sync.

Redcore, sabayon and all that other stuff is binary based.
                Last edited by k1e0x; 27 December 2019, 05:42 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by AdamOne View Post
                  This is complete horsecrap. I just upgraded a 2-year-old Calculate install on a sandy bridge laptop a week ago, and got ~10MB/sec from the mirrors. An emerge -G took less than 15 minutes to upgrade over 1100 packages. Even Athlon64's upgrade from quickpkg (which is what emerge -G does) is maybe 30 minutes. You know it installs 5 binaries simultaneously, right?

Comment

Originally posted by k1e0x View Post

.. but upgrades are really troublesome sometimes due to the use flags and the system complexity.
                    Another meaningless filler comment just to raise post count on Phoronix. You have to manually enable useflags in calculate using the /etc/portage/package.use/custom.cld file. it's empty by default.
                    I'm starting to wonder if I'm the only person posting that actually tried this distro before vomiting all over the comments.
                    Last edited by jason.oliveira; 27 December 2019, 09:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jason.oliveira View Post

This is complete horsecrap. I just upgraded a 2-year-old Calculate install on a sandy bridge laptop a week ago, and got ~10MB/sec from the mirrors. An emerge -G took less than 15 minutes to upgrade over 1100 packages. Even Athlon64's upgrade from quickpkg (which is what emerge -G does) is maybe 30 minutes. You know it installs 5 binaries simultaneously, right?
                      Dude, it took 5 hours. Im not talking a week ago, Im talking 3-4 years ago. And that was with binaries enabled. I believe I saw a forum thread with the same complaint but Im unable to find it again.

Comment

Working...
                      X