Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gentoo-Based Calculate Linux 20 Released To Ring In The New Year, Free Of 32-Bit Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gentoo-Based Calculate Linux 20 Released To Ring In The New Year, Free Of 32-Bit Support

Phoronix: Gentoo-Based Calculate Linux 20 Released To Ring In The New Year, Free Of 32-Bit Support

One of the few still maintained Linux distributions derived from Gentoo is Calculate Linux, which saw a new release today in preparing for the new year...

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...ux-20-Released

"Calculate Linux 20 is based upon newer Gentoo sources"

it's not the newser 'sources' it's based on, it's the distribution profile. while recompiled with newer gcc, the newer profile merely introduces different set of defaults and a different style of multilib layout.

Comment

Calculate is one of those Linux gems that most people don't know about, I like it a lot, I use it for some older laptops that are kind of long in the tooth and it works like a charm.

I've never tried is as my main desktop, because I need a stable, reliable distro and unfortunately the only distro that fits that bill is the Ubuntu LTS releases, every other distro I have ever tried, including Fedora, OpenSuse (both Tumbleweed and Leap), all the Arch based distros (including Manjaro, which I like a lot), all seen to just look for excuses to crap out, usually when I'm in the tightest time constraint and have the least time to try and diagnose or fix a computer problem.

It's a shame that it seems only Ubuntu, with their LTS releases can get the Linux desktop right. Buit if you want a nice toy to play around with for a backup or older system, Calculate is nice.

Comment

Dropping 32-bit support is in most cases based on avoiding thinking about when 32-bit is and isn't sufficient to run modern applications.

Some garbage-collected languages are performing pointer compression because at least half of the bits in all 64-bit pointers have the same value when running a sizeable percentage of modern applications.

Comment

Originally posted by Spooktra View Post
          Calculate is one of those Linux gems that most people don't know about, I like it a lot, I use it for some older laptops that are kind of long in the tooth and it works like a charm.

I've never tried is as my main desktop, because I need a stable, reliable distro and unfortunately the only distro that fits that bill is the Ubuntu LTS releases, every other distro I have ever tried, including Fedora, OpenSuse (both Tumbleweed and Leap), all the Arch based distros (including Manjaro, which I like a lot), all seen to just look for excuses to crap out, usually when I'm in the tightest time constraint and have the least time to try and diagnose or fix a computer problem.

It's a shame that it seems only Ubuntu, with their LTS releases can get the Linux desktop right. Buit if you want a nice toy to play around with for a backup or older system, Calculate is nice.
          Debian Stable? Red Hat Enterprise? CentOS?

Comment

Funtoo, Sabayon and Redcore are other Gentoo based distros. I've used them in the past they are pretty good.

Comment

Originally posted by atomsymbol View Post
              Dropping 32-bit support is in most cases based on avoiding thinking about when 32-bit is and isn't sufficient to run modern applications.

Some garbage-collected languages are performing pointer compression because at least half of the bits in all 64-bit pointers have the same value when running a sizeable percentage of modern applications.
              Being Gentoo based, you just have to add ABI_X86="64 32" to /etc/portage/make.conf and then emerge -DNu world... Easy...

Comment

Originally posted by k1e0x View Post
                Funtoo, Sabayon and Redcore are other Gentoo based distros. I've used them in the past they are pretty good.
                Yup and out Gentoo, Calculate, Funtoo, Sabayon and Redcore, Redcore is the only one with a Live environment that can boot my latest laptop. I wouldn't have been able to get my Gentoo setup on it without Redcore. Very impressed with that one.

EDIT: Trying to get this laptop to get fully booted is what introduced me to Redcore. The fact that they have a kernel and bootloader properly configured with all the support many modern UEFI laptops need to boot without legacy mode is what made it work, where-as all the others failed either at the bootloader or the kernel load. Even considering non-Gentoo based distro's, even the latest Fedora failed to boot, OpenSuSe booted to the desktop but had no mouse or keyboard, Ubuntu booted to the desktop but had no wifi or bluetooth. Redcore is the only one that booted flawlessly.
                Last edited by duby229; 12-27-2019, 01:37 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
                  Being Gentoo based, you just have to add ABI_X86="64 32" to /etc/portage/make.conf and then emerge -DNu world... Easy...
                  I agree. The sentence "Calculate Linux will no longer come in 32 bits" is open to multiple interpretations.

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
                    Yup and out Gentoo, Calculate, Funtoo, Sabayon and Redcore, Redcore is the only one with a Live environment that can boot my latest laptop. I wouldn't have been able to get my Gentoo setup on it without Redcore. Very impressed with that one.

EDIT: Trying to get this laptop to get fully booted is what introduced me to Redcore. The fact that they have a kernel and bootloader properly configured with all the support many modern UEFI laptops need to boot without legacy mode is what made it work, where-as all the others failed either at the bootloader or the kernel load. Even considering non-Gentoo based distro's, even the latest Fedora failed to boot, OpenSuSe booted to the desktop but had no mouse or keyboard, Ubuntu booted to the desktop but had no wifi or bluetooth. Redcore is the only one that booted flawlessly.
                    Just a thought: It is possible to prepare a new Gentoo partition in almost any kind of machine other than the target machine (chroot into directory, mount a file, mount a disk, VirtualBox, even Hyper-V in Windows). The last step is to run grub-install to make it bootable after the partition is finally copied to a physical HDD/SSD/USB drive.

Comment

Working...
                    X