X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• starshipeleven
    replied
    Originally posted by k1e0x View Post
    It sees some use because it's a lot different than most other hypervisors.
    Does not answer the question.

Afaik the only place where I know people use Bhyve is FreeNAS.

Bhyve does no emulation and is a very thin, simple layer. (as opposed to KVM or ESXi that are more like the kitchen sink)
    Considering that bhyve and KVM support similar features and are broadly similar in CLI commands (and can be both controlled by libvirt-based tools), I'd disagree with this statement.

A Bhyve host might have less than 10 PID's on the system in total. (typical Linux would have hundreds)
    Both Bhyve and KVM are kernel hypervisors, so I'm not sure why the number of processes in a system (which is the userspace) is connected to them.
    On a kernel-based virtualization host you only need a few services (ssh, network, and if you want something fancy you can add a web GUI or an API receiver like libvirt in headless mode) regardless of the technology used.

Leave a comment:

• kallisti5
    replied
    Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
    This is better.
    This is their own tech.
    True, look at... (looks around)

(inhales) upstart, unity, Mir, ubuntu one, Ubuntu Touch, Ubuntu Phone, Ubuntu TV, Snaps (oops, too early?)

Leave a comment:

• k1e0x
    replied
    Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
    Who is using BSD as a hypervisor? Asking for a friend
    It sees some use because it's a lot different than most other hypervisors. Bhyve does no emulation and is a very thin, simple layer. (as opposed to KVM or ESXi that are more like the kitchen sink) A Bhyve host might have less than 10 PID's on the system in total. (typical Linux would have hundreds)

One *might* use it to make hardware agnostic guest images while reserving almost all the system for the guest.
    Last edited by k1e0x; 20 December 2019, 04:04 PM.

Leave a comment:

• starshipeleven
    replied
    Originally posted by kallisti5 View Post
    So essentially they're re-implementing what's already provided by the following tech in different ways...

(inhales) Docker/runc/podman/containerd/VirtualBox/qemu/VMWare/FreeBSD jails/Solaris Zones/Xen/Linux chroots/Vagrant/ (inhales) /Proxmox/openstack/Gnome Boxes/libvirt/Bochs/Nanobox/Mesos/rkt/lxc/openvz/ (inhales) / cri-o / Parallels / kvm / xenserver / minikube / kubeadm
    This is better.
    This is their own tech.

Leave a comment:

• kallisti5
    replied
    "A Mini-Cloud On Your Workstation"
    fml. All the services into the cloud!!@! All the cloud back on your desktop!@!!!1

So essentially they're re-implementing what's already provided by the following tech in different ways...

(inhales) Docker/runc/podman/containerd/VirtualBox/qemu/VMWare/FreeBSD jails/Solaris Zones/Xen/Linux chroots/Vagrant/ (inhales) /Proxmox/openstack/Gnome Boxes/libvirt/Bochs/Nanobox/Mesos/rkt/lxc/openvz/ (inhales) / cri-o / Parallels / kvm / xenserver / minikube / kubeadm
    Last edited by kallisti5; 20 December 2019, 01:14 PM.

Leave a comment:

• starshipeleven
    replied
    Originally posted by k1e0x View Post
    No native bhyve Ubuntu? Seems pretty easy to add since HyperKit is bhyve for macos..
    Who is using BSD as a hypervisor? Asking for a friend

Leave a comment:

• anarki2
    replied
    Canonical. Reinventing the wheel since 2004!

Leave a comment:

• Britoid
    replied
    Originally posted by Charlie68 View Post
    Maybe it's not very relevant, but yesterday I saw a Richard Brown Twitter post that says ""The @SUSE security team just closed the bug for addressing security concerns preventing @snapcraftio being included in @openSUSE due to a lack of response by the upstream developers & packagers.. I guess @FlatpakApps wins the new-age packaging war by default"" and ""I'd like to point out that the reason for the closure was not a failure at addressing any of the raised issues, but a failure to reply to either of the requests for a status update in July and September."".
    Canonical does a terrible job of making Snap run on other distros, having it barely run is good enough.

Leave a comment:

• stiiixy
    replied
    Leeloo Dallas Multipass.

mmmulltiipasssss.

Leave a comment:

• Charlie68
    replied
    Maybe it's not very relevant, but yesterday I saw a Richard Brown Twitter post that says ""The @SUSE security team just closed the bug for addressing security concerns preventing @snapcraftio being included in @openSUSE due to a lack of response by the upstream developers & packagers.. I guess @FlatpakApps wins the new-age packaging war by default"" and ""I'd like to point out that the reason for the closure was not a failure at addressing any of the raised issues, but a failure to reply to either of the requests for a status update in July and September."".

Leave a comment:

Working...
X