Canonical Releases Multipass 1.0 As "A Mini-Cloud On Your Workstation"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canonical Releases Multipass 1.0 As "A Mini-Cloud On Your Workstation"

Phoronix: Canonical Releases Multipass 1.0 As "A Mini-Cloud On Your Workstation"

It was just last week that Canonical released Multipass 0.9 as their means of easily spinning up Ubuntu virtual machines across Linux / Windows / macOS. Today Multipass 1.0.0 made the surprisingly fast debut and marks their first stable release...

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...s-1.0-Released

Code:
    ~ ❯ snap install multipass --classic

multipass 1.0.0 from Canonical✓ installed
    ~ ❯ multipass shell
    Launched: primary                                                              
    Mounted '/home/xxx' into 'primary:Home'                                      
    Welcome to Ubuntu 18.04.3 LTS (GNU/Linux 4.15.0-72-generic x86_64)

<motd trimmed>

[email protected]:~$ uname -a
    Linux primary 4.15.0-72-generic #81-Ubuntu SMP Tue Nov 26 12:20:02 UTC 2019 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
    Well that was ridiculously easy. No complaints here.

Unrelated really, but for fun I ran the following:

[email protected]:~$ cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/vulnerabilities/*
    Not affected
    Mitigation: PTE Inversion; VMX: conditional cache flushes, SMT disabled
    Mitigation: Clear CPU buffers; SMT Host state unknown
    Mitigation: PTI
    Mitigation: Speculative Store Bypass disabled via prctl and seccomp
    Mitigation: usercopy/swapgs barriers and __user pointer sanitization
    Mitigation: Full generic retpoline, IBPB: conditional, IBRS_FW, STIBP: disabled, RSB filling
    Not affected

Installed phoronix, ran:

[email protected]:~/phoronix-test-suite$ ./phoronix-test-suite benchmark pts/ctx-clock-1.0.0
    Estimated Time To Completion: 1 Minute [09:19 PST]
    Started Run 1 @ 09:19:09
    Started Run 2 @ 09:19:16
    Started Run 3 @ 09:19:23

Context Switch Time:

Then on my own machine with mitigations=off:

~ ❯ uname -a
    Linux ubuntu 5.4.3-050403+custom-generic #050403+201912130841 SMP PREEMPT Fri Dec 13 10:46:17 PST 2019 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
    ~ ❯ cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/vulnerabilities/*
    KVM: Vulnerable
    Mitigation: PTE Inversion; VMX: vulnerable, SMT disabled
    Vulnerable; SMT disabled
    Vulnerable
    Vulnerable
    Vulnerable: __user pointer sanitization and usercopy barriers only; no swapgs barriers
    Vulnerable, IBPB: disabled, STIBP: disabled
    Not affected

phoronix-test-suite - master ❯ ./phoronix-test-suite benchmark pts/ctx-clock-1.0.0
    Estimated Time To Completion: 1 Minute [09:20 PST]
    Started Run 1 @ 09:20:06
    Started Run 2 @ 09:20:10
    Started Run 3 @ 09:20:15

Context Switch Time:

It's just crazy how much an ubuntu vm gets crippled on an Intel machine by default nowadays. Not even trying to start a flame war.

Comment

Originally posted by perpetually high View Post
      It's just crazy how much an ubuntu vm gets crippled on an Intel machine by default nowadays. Not even trying to start a flame war.
      I'm not sure I understood your point, but the mitigations are on by default on probably every distribution. I don't know how multipass configures QEMU, but in order for the VM to use/see hardware support for mitigations on Intel CPUs it has to have appropriate CPU flags set to at least: +md_clear +pcid +spec_ctrl +ssbd.

Comment

No native bhyve Ubuntu? Seems pretty easy to add since HyperKit is bhyve for macos..
        Last edited by k1e0x; 12-18-2019, 04:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by perpetually high View Post
          Code:
          ~ ❯ snap install multipass --classic

multipass 1.0.0 from Canonical✓ installed
          ~ ❯ multipass shell
          Launched: primary
          Mounted '/home/xxx' into 'primary:Home'
          Welcome to Ubuntu 18.04.3 LTS (GNU/Linux 4.15.0-72-generic x86_64)

<motd trimmed>

[email protected]:~$ uname -a
          Linux primary 4.15.0-72-generic #81-Ubuntu SMP Tue Nov 26 12:20:02 UTC 2019 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
          Well that was ridiculously easy. No complaints here.

Unrelated really, but for fun I ran the following:

[email protected]:~$ cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/vulnerabilities/*
          Not affected
          Mitigation: PTE Inversion; VMX: conditional cache flushes, SMT disabled
          Mitigation: Clear CPU buffers; SMT Host state unknown
          Mitigation: PTI
          Mitigation: Speculative Store Bypass disabled via prctl and seccomp
          Mitigation: usercopy/swapgs barriers and __user pointer sanitization
          Mitigation: Full generic retpoline, IBPB: conditional, IBRS_FW, STIBP: disabled, RSB filling
          Not affected

Installed phoronix, ran:

[email protected]:~/phoronix-test-suite$ ./phoronix-test-suite benchmark pts/ctx-clock-1.0.0
          Estimated Time To Completion: 1 Minute [09:19 PST]
          Started Run 1 @ 09:19:09
          Started Run 2 @ 09:19:16
          Started Run 3 @ 09:19:23

Context Switch Time:

Then on my own machine with mitigations=off:

~ ❯ uname -a
          Linux ubuntu 5.4.3-050403+custom-generic #050403+201912130841 SMP PREEMPT Fri Dec 13 10:46:17 PST 2019 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
          ~ ❯ cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/vulnerabilities/*
          KVM: Vulnerable
          Mitigation: PTE Inversion; VMX: vulnerable, SMT disabled
          Vulnerable; SMT disabled
          Vulnerable
          Vulnerable
          Vulnerable: __user pointer sanitization and usercopy barriers only; no swapgs barriers
          Vulnerable, IBPB: disabled, STIBP: disabled
          Not affected

phoronix-test-suite - master ❯ ./phoronix-test-suite benchmark pts/ctx-clock-1.0.0
          Estimated Time To Completion: 1 Minute [09:20 PST]
          Started Run 1 @ 09:20:06
          Started Run 2 @ 09:20:10
          Started Run 3 @ 09:20:15

Context Switch Time:

let's just say that on my dual xeon l5640 using a recompiled kernel without the mitigations and optimized makes me feel like i've bought a new computer.

The most stupid test: opening facebook... it takes literally a tenth of the time to open facebook on the custom kernel. Believe me or not, it almost feels faster than my gaming rig- overclocked 4770k.

Comment

Shuttleworth and his fking cloud hardon. Dude can't even keeps snaps from breaking infrastructure. It's predicable and tiresome.

Comment

Maybe it's not very relevant, but yesterday I saw a Richard Brown Twitter post that says ""The @SUSE security team just closed the bug for addressing security concerns preventing @snapcraftio being included in @openSUSE due to a lack of response by the upstream developers & packagers.. I guess @FlatpakApps wins the new-age packaging war by default"" and ""I'd like to point out that the reason for the closure was not a failure at addressing any of the raised issues, but a failure to reply to either of the requests for a status update in July and September."".

Comment

Leeloo Dallas Multipass.

mmmulltiipasssss.

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie68 View Post
                  Maybe it's not very relevant, but yesterday I saw a Richard Brown Twitter post that says ""The @SUSE security team just closed the bug for addressing security concerns preventing @snapcraftio being included in @openSUSE due to a lack of response by the upstream developers & packagers.. I guess @FlatpakApps wins the new-age packaging war by default"" and ""I'd like to point out that the reason for the closure was not a failure at addressing any of the raised issues, but a failure to reply to either of the requests for a status update in July and September."".
                  Canonical does a terrible job of making Snap run on other distros, having it barely run is good enough.

Comment

Canonical. Reinventing the wheel since 2004!

Comment

Working...
                    X