Linux Mint 19.3 "Tricia" Released With Better HiDPI Support, App Changes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux Mint 19.3 "Tricia" Released With Better HiDPI Support, App Changes

Phoronix: Linux Mint 19.3 "Tricia" Released With Better HiDPI Support, App Changes

In meeting their plans for shipping Linux Mint 19.3 "Tricia" before Christmas, the Xfce / MATE / Cinnamon editions of this updated Linux distribution shipped this morning...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

"Celluloid replacing Xplayer as the media player"

Not sure why they keep parroting this. They're replacing VLC. Which is very strange, considering that the primary goal of Mint is being user friendly and noob friendly. So they put a random noname player instead of what the entire universe is using on all platforms and expect granny to sudo apt install vlc from now on.

Comment

"Canonical Wants Your Feedback To Help Prepare Ubuntu 20.04 LTS"; 17 December 12:40 PM EST - Ubuntu - Ubuntu 20.04 LTS Survey

OK--start calling Linux Mint what it really is: just one more version of Ubuntu. And has been for a long, long time.

Comment

i never liked vlc and always used mpv because it handles my stuff much better then vlc does, Celluloid is nice and i can use my mpv config so i am fine with it.
        I think apt install vlc is not a issue.

Originally posted by eydee View Post

Not sure why they keep parroting this. They're replacing VLC. Which is very strange, considering that the primary goal of Mint is being user friendly and noob friendly. So they put a random noname player instead of what the entire universe is using on all platforms and expect granny to sudo apt install vlc from now on.

Comment

VLC is a lot heavier. 60 MB vs 0.7 MB.

Comment

Better HIDPI support and Celluloid actually looks like a native app.

Comment

My complaints about VLC:

- The pitch shifting bug. This is the most annoying behavior ever. Sometimes when seeking (or even at pure random), the pitch slightly goes down or up. According to the developers, this is to "sync the audio to a system timer". What in the heck?!
              - What "system timer"? Nobody cares about syncing an audio stream to a system timer! If it is just an audio stream, what's the point?!
              - Do they really think that audio hardware is unstable and that the sampling rate may change at any time? Look. Every single piece of audio hardware generates a perfect 44.1KHz (or any other rate) all the time. Why do you have to do this stupid thing? -_-
              - If you want to reproduce this, you can try doing the following: Load a .flac file (that does not have silence at the beginning), and hold the Left arrow for a while (this will go back to the beginning of the track ~25 times per second). After a while you should hear the pitch go down.
              - This bug is easier to reproduce on VLC for Android, for some weird reason.
              - Yeah, they said it was fixed in recent versions of VLC, but I am on VLC 3.1.7 aaaand I still can reproduce the bug.

- If the buffer runs out of data (e.g. when playing a stream), sometimes VLC will try hard to display the next frame, causing the screen to turn gray or black, and to look garbled.
              - Too slow to seek. Seriously, compare VLC to mpv or even QuickTime. The latter two seek instantly, while VLC can take seconds to seek!
              - The two-second silence bug. If you change the pitch, or equalizer (or something), VLC may cut off the audio for two seconds. This cutoff probably is much shorter in the PC version, but under Android it is two seconds.
              - Sometimes VLC just gives up playing the song at random times.
              - No gapless playback.
              - Even worse, VLC cuts off the last 100ms of audio. This may not be noticeable since most audio files end with silence.
              - You cannot seek Ogg files if they are streamed.
              - Only m4a audio files are fast-seekable if streamed. mka files have to be downloaded entirely in order to seek.
              Last edited by tildearrow; 19 December 2019, 03:41 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by caligula View Post

VLC is a lot heavier. 60 MB vs 0.7 MB.
                0.7MB for what? Celluloid or xplayer?

If the latter, then that makes so much sense since xplayer looks too old anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

0.7MB for what? Celluloid or xplayer?

If the latter, then that makes so much sense since xplayer looks too old anyway.
                  Celluloid has 0.7MB

Comment

Originally posted by Werner99 View Post
                    I think apt install vlc is not a issue.
                    Having to open a terminal is an issue.

Comment

Working...
                    X