No announcement yet.

Canonical Wants Your Feedback To Help Prepare Ubuntu 20.04 LTS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Flatpaks suck badly on Plasma desktop without native theme integration.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
      I want good out-of-the-box support for Flatpak so it just works without me first having to install Flatpak.

As for Snap, it might be great, I don't know. But don't push it on me when it leads to a worse experience, such as for GNOME Calculator that takes a long time to start.

It sucks to have to wait for updates to outdated software. Sometimes it feels like Windows is the best platform for open source software, when you're on Ubuntu with old versions of software.

We don't have any Photoshop, or other software, all we got is GIMP, so I would love for it to see more development and be improved.

I miss some software such as GitHub Desktop. We have Visual Studio Code which is awesome, but it still not Visual Studio though.

I wish the dash animation in GNOME was like the one on Android instead of the folding one we have now. I also wish GNOME Shell was more stable, maybe written in Rust. It's pretty stable by default, but when you pair it with extensions it can get unstable.

I wish the web browser, the email client, the PDF viewer, and the media player were sandboxed so malicious files and scripts cant hack the computer.
      GIMP might not see much love, but Krita does, and it just received a $25.000 grant from Epic Games as well: https://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2019/12/...epic-megagrant

Comment

I don't quite understand the concept of snaps. They fail to solve pretty much any of the existing issues, while actually manage to introduce new ones. A lot of them. That's just brilliant.

In any case, I submitted an extensive response, hopefully they'll listen.

Comment

Originally posted by muncrief View Post
          Well, my only real complaint with Ubuntu is their "Ubuntu Sauce", and how far it's veered from straight up Linux. One of the things I like most about Arch and Manjaro is that you can simply compile the kernel from mainline git without all that nonsense.

On the other hand, I greatly appreciate that Ubuntu has created a distro that's about as close to "user friendly" as Linux has ever gotten. Even though I don't prefer it myself, whenever I'm trying to get a non-technical user to switch to Linux I always install Ubuntu for them. They have by far the most out of the box application support of any Linux distro I know of, and lack of easy to install software is what typically drives potential new Linux users away.

Average Windows users simply can't, and don't care, about compiling kernels and software, they just want to boot up their computers, install their favorite stuff, and go. And while Ubuntu is far from perfect for non-technical end users, as I said it's the closest Linux has come yet.
          Not sure if there is something here that I misunderstood but I have compiled and run straight vanilla kernels on Ubuntu without any problems (did it back before my RX480 card was supported by the Ubuntu supplied kernel when I was running 16.04LTS).

Comment

Originally posted by F.Ultra View Post

Not sure if there is something here that I misunderstood but I have compiled and run straight vanilla kernels on Ubuntu without any problems (did it back before my RX480 card was supported by the Ubuntu supplied kernel when I was running 16.04LTS).
            Oh, I didn't know they'd switched to vanilla kernels. I used to have to either download kernels from their own git, or try to apply the Ubuntu Sauce myself. But it's been years since I've tried, so my mistake for not being more up to date.

Comment

Oh, I didn't know they'd switched to vanilla kernels. I used to have to either download kernels from their own git, or try to apply the Ubuntu Sauce myself. But it's been years since I've tried, so my mistake for not being more up to date.
              More or less every distro carry patches, mostly to backtrack fixes, but there is nothing that requires you to run a patched kernel.

Comment

Originally posted by F.Ultra View Post

More or less every distro carry patches, mostly to backtrack fixes, but there is nothing that requires you to run a patched kernel.
                Well, I was never able to apply the plethora of patches, known as Ubuntu Sauce, to a kernel from mainline git. And I tried running straight mainline kernels to no avail. But this was years ago, and I probably only gave it an earnest try 5 or 6 times. So as I said things may have changed.

However I regularly run mainline kernels on Manjaro, sometimes with no patches other than for something I'm specifically trying to fix. For example I'm running 5.4.2 straight from Torvald's git, with the NVME temperature sensor patch, right now.

Could I do that with Ubuntu now?

Comment

30 months

Well, I was never able to apply the plethora of patches, known as Ubuntu Sauce, to a kernel from mainline git. And I tried running straight mainline kernels to no avail. But this was years ago, and I probably only gave it an earnest try 5 or 6 times. So as I said things may have changed.

However I regularly run mainline kernels on Manjaro, sometimes with no patches other than for something I'm specifically trying to fix. For example I'm running 5.4.2 straight from Torvald's git, with the NVME temperature sensor patch, right now.

Could I do that with Ubuntu now?

If you have no patch to apply, these vanilla kernels have been working seamlessly for me (for the last 30 months).
                  It's just a sudo dpkg -i linux-headers-x.x* linux-image-x.x linux-modules-x.x away.

Comment

Originally posted by Mez' View Post

If you have no patch to apply, these vanilla kernels have been working seamlessly for me (for the last 30 months).
                    It's just a sudo dpkg -i linux-headers-x.x* linux-image-x.x linux-modules-x.x away.
                    I think we may be talking about two different things here. I'm talking about cloning the latest Torvald's git and compiling the kernel, not installing prepackaged Ubuntu kernels. And of course applying custom patches would be critical, as that's why most people would need to compile the kernel.

Or am I misunderstanding, and the packages you reference are ones you compiled yourself?

Comment

For LTS server, my wishlist is
                      • ZFS with encrypted compressed trimmable offline-dedupable root on raidz/mirror through autoinstaller
                      • WireGuard
                      • A working PHPMyAdmin in repo
                      • improved netplan (I orchestrate VPN, which was easy before netplan)
                      • SSH defaulting to best HW-offloaded AES available

Comment

Working...
                      X