Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fedora Deciding Whether CD/DVD Installation Issues Should Still Hold Up Releases

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• starshipeleven
    replied
    Originally posted by anarki2 View Post
    Btw why is it so darn hard to generate a bootable UEFI ISO from a UEFI zip bundle?
    Because apparently the only way to boot is to embed a small Fat32 partition with UEFI stuff in it. This is a much shorter tutorial https://unix.stackexchange.com/quest...ot-efiboot-img

Leave a comment:

• starshipeleven
    replied
    Originally posted by Etherman View Post
    And what does virtual machines boot from?
    You can make much simpler "boot images" for that purpose. But yeah it's kind of weird.

Leave a comment:

• Etherman
    replied
    And what does virtual machines boot from?

Leave a comment:

• ssokolow
    replied
    I haven't used RPM-based distros since Mandrakelinux 10.x, but I still install and boot recovery discs from DVD because none of my USB flash drives have a write-protect switch.

Leave a comment:

• Anvil
    replied
    it'd be cheaper to get rid of the DvD an CD ISO images all together an just go with the boot.iso image instead . which is what i would of thought a lot of people use nowadays anyway

Leave a comment:

• Ipkh
    replied
    Windows doesn't integrate as many drivers I to their install image and due the way the Windows preinstallalion image works, it might not support the chipset drivers. So once it takes over from the bios it can't detect the usb devices (like the keyboard).

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Originally posted by AndyChow View Post
    I still use DVD's for install for a few machines that I have that are pre-UEFI and do not have PXE or USB boot options. This happens so rarely that my portable DVD drive is covered in dust. But it does happen. I don't think it should be a deal breaker, because I could always use an older release and update.

Not sure why those machines can't boot a usb key but can boot on a dvd drive plugged into a usb port, but that's how they behave.
    Even ancient laptops I've dealt with support USB boot, but if you're in that weird case where you don't have USB support, you can use plop boot manager to work around the problem. Just put it on some medium that's bootable with your firmware, even a floppy would work.

Leave a comment:

• cjcox
    replied
    IMHO, there's no good reason to terminate this except to tick off people (too soon).

But interesting to hear that there could be problem with a DVD ISO vs USB (why? that is, why would the DVD fail?) Do all remote IPMI-like things boot whatever will be produced (drac, ilo)? Just thinking out loud.

Leave a comment:

• anarki2
    replied
    Btw why is it so darn hard to generate a bootable UEFI ISO from a UEFI zip bundle? All the tutorials I could find consisted of pages and pages of instructions and commands. Quite ridiculous. Does anyone know a nice Linux util (either CLI or GUI) that can do it in a _simple_ way? I.e. here's this folder with the required EFI folder, make it into a bootable pure UEFI ISO? Like on Windows?

Leave a comment:

• Mathias
    replied
    I would have used DVD a few days ago if the Laptop I was installing had a DVD drive... wait - that was windows. I had serious problems booting from USB on Windows. It amazes me, how MS releases images that are not straight bootable from USB these days. Never had a problem booting Linux from USB though.

Kill DVD if you want.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X